wall wart length

Is it possible to make a wall wart cord longer by splicing the appropriate size wire into it? If so what size wire would I use? I want to make it about 5 or 6 feet longer. Patt

Reply to
Patt

Hello, Patt! You wrote on Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:04:33 GMT:

P> Is it possible to make a wall wart cord longer by splicing the P> appropriate size wire into it? If so what size wire would I use? I P> want to make it about 5 or 6 feet longer. P> Patt

Just use wire of the same approximate diameter, If I need to splice a section like this, I seperate the strands and cut them different lengths ie: cut the positive a little longer than the negative and cut the new peice offset to match. Another 5 or 6 feet won't make any significant difference.

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
3T39

As long as it's the same gauge or thicker, it should do. If it's a DC output, be careful of polarity. Some only use a very thin rib or squared corner to tell the two wires apart!! You may want to somehow mark right at your cut point if it's hard to tell them apart, then cut right in the middle of your mark. I would use a meter to check the output before changes, then after, to be safe.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

"Patt" wrote in news:lblVe.476667$s54.470727@pd7tw2no:

If your wall wart uses a standard and easily available connector, you may consider making an extension cable rather than splicing in more wire. The biggest advantage you have with the extension cable is the ability to take it off.

Puckdropper

--
www.uncreativelabs.net