oscilloscope repair help needed, again

Hitachi oscilloscope v-1065

I've posted about this before, but have found (I think) the problem. The flyback is kaput. There's a big crack all the way around and black soot in the crack. I probably caused this by jumpering the fuse to get things going so I could take measurements. I heard some squealing with the jumpered-out fuse. Before I was done, a loud bang and then louder squealing from the power supply section.

I don't know if the flyback was the original problem, but now the flyback is definitely bad, so where can I get a new one? Anyone? I've got a 40mhz scope but I want to get this one running, too.

-josh

Reply to
cusslerfan

Scrap it! If the flyback wasn't bad and you broke it, the cause is still in there. The new flyback will smoke too. So, you change the transistor and flyback and hope for the best...but my experience with TVs is that the thing's gonna blow again. Too many little things that can change the frequency, efficiency, snubbers...

Put it on EBAY... ;-) mike

with links.  Delete this sig when replying.
.
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
mike

A word to the wise, you jump fuses with a light bulb, not a wire.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

It was a good workhorse when it worked. After a year (new son) of sitting by, it didn't work after running a couple of days. I just need to find a new flyback. I'm a bit (okay, a lot) rusty at repair because of the hiatus, but I'm trying to get back into it.

I'll do as ZZ suggested and use a light bulb next time. I used an ammeter to check the current while checking voltage levels.

-josh

Reply to
cusslerfan

I had forgotten all about that. Been a while since I've worked on anything electronic, as I said in my post to Mike. I'll remember that next time (I hope).

-josh

Reply to
cusslerfan