To the amp through the wall

Hi,

I have an imac and an amp about 6 feet away that connects to the speakers. I have an opportunity to pass the wire through the wall and so hide it.

My question is: What is the most elegant and reliable way to do the connections? What kind of jack should I use on the wall to connect to the computer? (35mm or...) And where do I get it? I need it to fit in a decora style plate and I want to use a generic faceplate.

Thanks in advance!

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

On a sunny day (Wed, 29 Dec 2010 09:14:15 -0800 (PST)) it happened Aaron Fude wrote in :

Just tare down that wall, and save on those parts.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

try these types:

They mount nicely in walls etc., and make solid reliable contact.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Google around for "Keystone jacks".

Keystone makes Decora-style faceplates which have varying numbers of rectangular cut-outs of a standard size. Into each such cutout you can snap an insert, which terminates a cable into a particular type of jack.

They naturally have CAT-5/-6 RJ-45 jacks, as well as RJ-11/12 for phones, 3.5 mm audio, BNC, F, RCA, S-Video, and banana (for speaker wiring). You can even get RCA-jack-terminated audio baluns, which might be helpful in establishing an audio link between different rooms (which may be on different AC circuits) without a ground-loop developing and causing hum.

In your case, I'd suggest either a 3.5 mm audio jack (for convenience) or a pair of RCA jacks (perhaps a bit more mechanically robust).

is one source.
is another.

The other option (if you really, absolutely *have* to start with a standard generic0 blank Decora faceplate) is to just drill two holes and install two RCA jacks. Cheap and easy. I used this approach a few years ago (with three jacks) to convey audio and composite video from our living room to one bedroom... it worked OK and I didn't have a hum problem.

Dave Platt

I use stuff like this...

available at Lowe's, but their website sucks, so I couldn't find it :-(

The little snap-in modules are available in CAT5, telephone, type-F, and banana plugs, amongst many others.

Makes for approval by SWMBO :-) ...Jim Thompson

On a sunny day (Wed, 29 Dec 2010 11:17:09 -0800) it happened snipped-for-privacy@radagast.org (Dave Platt) wrote in :

I did not write that, quote properly. I told him to tare down the f*cking wall.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I like big ole 1/4" headphone plugs and jacks. They are tough, easy to wire, and they are easy to plug/unplug in the dark without fumbling around. The jacks are easily mounted in switch plates with round holes, like you can get in (USA) hardware stores.

I've used them for RS232, too.

John

Apologies - I mis-snipped the multiple quote attributions.

My condolences for the bad day you appear to be having.

-- Dave Platt AE6EO Friends of Jade Warrior home page:

I do _not_ wish to receive unsolicited commercial email, and I will boycott any company which has the gall to send me such ads!

Reply to
Dave Platt

On a sunny day (Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:59:49 -0800) it happened snipped-for-privacy@radagast.org (Dave Platt) wrote in :

No problem, I was just joking.

No, day is OK, except for temperature that keeps dropping, now -3 to -5 C.

But I reacted that way because I thought and still think the question should not even be in an electronics design group, but then again, WTF do I care, anything goes right?

Anybody know how to put a new plug on my desklight sort of thing. Jim Tompson sort of request.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:39:27 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

mmm I have used the small ones for RS232. But I am back to good old D, as I often need the control lines too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Tare? Why does he need to know how much it weighs?

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

TX. RX. GND. That's all anybody really needs.

John

Yeah, but for high-speed serial with binary protocols it's rather easier if you get RTS/CTS as well... which still all fits on an RJ-45 jack with room to spare...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

My first thought was use whatever you want, but yes it does matter, avoid 3.5mm jacks as theyre just too unreliable and unrobust.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Get to your local home improvement/hardware store. They have entire sections dedicated to cable/speaker/HDMI/network cables, jacks, faceplates, trim rings, etc. Start here:

and then find the appropriate modules for your signal type. If they don't have the 3.5mm jacks you want, you could use 2 RCA jack modules (L+R) or put in a blank modular insert, drill it and put in whatever you want. I have a (now unused) 10Base2 network with BNC jacks installed in my huse this way. I put in 6 port faceplates and now have telephone, CATV,

100BaseT, and video cabling coming out the jack locations.
--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

That's precisely what I use. ...Jim Thompson

Either great minds think alike or someone switched our meds.. ;-)

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Makes a neat installation, SWMBO-stamp-of-approval :-)

My typical plate has telephone, two CAT-5 and a type-F.

With one also having two banana/twist posts for speaker wiring. ...Jim Thompson

I'm in the planning stage to update the wiring for a local business. There will be four cat 5E and two telephone per workstation. All the printers will be networked, except for the two UPS lable printers. Some locations already have three local printers, Color inkjet, Mono laser & Color laser. We will used 8P8C jacks for all six positions at each wall plate so the second phone line, or one of the network jacks can be reassigned. Rack mount patch panels will be in the phone & server room to allow for quick changes, without tools.

is a 24 port ethernet switch for less than $40.

They already sold out the 24 position patch panels. They were $17.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell