Vinyl record deck , cartridge / stylus question

Putting a new but old stock cartridge on a vinyl deck, I'm sure I remember the problem from years ago but not the cure . Original cartridge & stylus missing. Right channel on loud sections has nasty , clipping like, distortion on one channel. Swapping cartridge leads the distortion swaps sides. Maximum weight for this cartridge in the notes is 2 gm but distortion disappears at 4 to 6 gms. Is this a problem with radial,centripetal/centrifugal force compensator, problem with the flexible suspension material on the end of stylus arm or what ?

n cook

Anti-skate badly misadjusted?

Reply to
Ol' Duffer

n cook ha escrito:

are you absolutely sure that the stylus shank is not bent (even v.slightly?) that has caused exactly this symptom for me in the past....

-B

Is there any chance that the cartridge is a Shure where the elasticizer holding the stylus shank has hardened up? Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Forcing the arm outwards by pushing via a nylon cable tie removes the distorsion and pushing inwards makes it worse so presumably needs more anti-skating. I had to rebalance the tone-arm weight for presumably a heavier cartridge than the unseen original, does that need more anti-skate force , i thought it should go up with more stylus weight.

Reply to
n cook

What's the arm? Are you measuring stylus force with a balance, or using the numbers on the weight on the arm's counterweight? I'm sure you zeroed out the arm before you adjusted the counterweight.

Reply to
Beloved Leader

Proper procedure is to balance the arm--with anti-skate set to zero--to the point where it is 'just' floating above the surface of the record, set the weight indicator for zero at that point; then dial in the correct stylus pressure. Usually I set for the high end of the manufacturers recommendation. At that point, if a calibrated anti-skate dial is present, I adjust that to the same setting as the stylus and listen.

It's important to do this in order. If you have to go grossly above the recommended weight in order for it to sound 'good', something's wrong...either with the cartridge, stylus or tonearm.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Be sure that the cartridge that you've fitted is set correctly for radial displacement within the headshell. If the cartridge uses an eliptical sylus, which most quality ones do, then if this is not correctly aligned with the groove, asymmetric distortion can occur. Stylus overhang should also be correct, but this usually requires a gauge specific to the deck / tone arm to set.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Sounds like anti-skating force is off. Has to match weight.

This assumes that the turntable is level to start with, of course. Check on turntable itself, not base.

Ray

Reply to
Rune

remember

stylus

or

sylus,

Problem seems to be I only had a mono LP from 1963 and using an eliptical stylus. Borrowed a copy of Neil Young - Harvest and problem evaporated

Reply to
n cook