Viewsonic UPS "click"

I have an old Viewsonic 420E UPS. New battery. Tests and works fine.

Lately, I've heard a light "clicking" - usually when the harddrive of the computer is accessed. I was worried that it was the drive but eventually, I traced it back to the UPS located a few inches below the PC.

I can't imagine why the UPS would "click" when the HD is accessed. Surely the additional power used in that operation is marginal.

The "click" is less annoying now that I know the source - I presume a relay in the UPS. But, still, it is a new issue I'd like to eliminate.

Any ideas on what the "click" means?

Thank you.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.
Reply to

Are you sure that the battery in the UPS is not weak? I have new batteries not lasting very long because they went defective. I found the batteries to average about 3 years before requiring to be changed.

--

JANA _____

Lately, I've heard a light "clicking" - usually when the harddrive of the computer is accessed. I was worried that it was the drive but eventually, I traced it back to the UPS located a few inches below the PC.

I can't imagine why the UPS would "click" when the HD is accessed. Surely the additional power used in that operation is marginal.

The "click" is less annoying now that I know the source - I presume a relay in the UPS. But, still, it is a new issue I'd like to eliminate.

Any ideas on what the "click" means?

Thank you.

-- Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Reply to
JANA

Battery is about 2 months old [last one did last 3 years]. I have now noticed that the click stops when I turn off the LCD monitor, so I assume this is a current issue. Even with the monitor turned on, the UPS tests fine and keeps everything running for a good 10 minutes. Mostly curious about what the click is telling me.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.
Reply to

I have several APC UPS units on my servers and every now and then I hear the same clicking from one of them. I too thought it was a hard drive in one of the server's RAID arrays going bad...turns out it was the UPS. I am really not sure what or why it does that, the batteries are fresh and fully charged. I am not really worried too much about it, the UPS automatically tests itself 2 times a day and so far no problems.

Reply to
Devia Immortalis