Viewsonic PF790 missing red

Hi,

My wife's monitor lost the red color entirely the other day. The monitor has been working fine with no visible signs of ageing. The picture is still very sharp and bright, but red went away in an instant, while she was using the computer.

So i'm wondering, if anyone has a qualified guess, what most likely have popped. If anyone know of a good guide to monitor troubleshooting/repair i'm interested as well. I have googled a great deal for this, but haven't found what i'm looking for.

I'm not entirely sure i can fix this (even with a little help), but it can't hurt trying (50.000V don't hurt, does it :P). Besides, my wife is constantly gapping about how bad her substitute monitor is, so i'm desperate :)

Mugge

Reply to
Mughoj

There were a few Viewsonic monitors that had problems with the video output IC failing and causing them to lose a color. The IC in these monitors was expensive and in short supply (I think they were around $100). Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Perhaps going back to basics first, it may be that you've even checked this already, but i've seen this happen in a few monitors in my time if one of the pins in the svga cable gets bent, broken, or if the cable just fell out a little bit. I remember one time a friend of mine who shall remain anonymous phoned up panicing because he had quite the opposite - his screen went all red and he thought it had gone into satanic mode!?! turns out the cable had just fallen partially out.

The pin for red video is pin 1, googling returns this site :

which has a nice pin out of the svga lead.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Fortune

Reply to
calvinsff

heh. Its a poor connection at the 15 pin D plug 8 or 9 times out of 10. If its not that it could be anywhere in the system, monitor, lead, or less often video card. Fortunately red is the least needed of all the colours :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com skrev:

My wife plays games alot, and needs to see blood. Virtual og mine, she doesn't care, so the monitor needs red :P

I'll look into some of the suggestions tomorrow (if i get the time). It would be nice, if one of the simpler (often better) solutions solves it.

Mugge

Reply to
Mughoj

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1156228757.069957.178110@

75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

That is not a BS recommendation. I have found many, many monitors losing color because the solder joints on the CRT board were bad. Hitting the monitor might make the color come back or flicker, which would indicate that it is probably a poor solder joint. Get some good glasses (Magnifiying kind) and examine all the solder joints on the CRT PCB and resolder them. This fixes a lot of monitors with this problem.

--
~Ohmster
Reply to

lol, best reason I ever heard.