Touch switch shutdown/start problems

Both my computer and a printer have problems with the start/stop touch switch. The computer intermittantly shutsdown and is difficult to restart. The printer spontaneously restarts after shutdown. After shutdown neither will start again immediately after the touch switch is pressed. I assume a capacitance effect is causing the problem but don't really know. Can anyone enlighten me with a typical circuit for touch on/off switches and advise whether my problems are likely to be repairable (short of major surgery or board replacement). With regard to the computer (ATX power supply) is the problem more likely to be with the motherboard or power supply. Can one can swap an AT supply for the ATX as a work around or test?

Many thanks in anticupation of your guidance .

Reply to
kennjo

Hello "Ozie, Ozie, oy, oy, oy!". Anybody with "constant" tea cup or "six pack" spending too much time with this equipment. If so then it is as the equipment should respond. BTW where are you, if close enough just knock on my door.

Have fun

Stanislaw Slack user from Ulladulla.

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto

No you cant swap an AT for an ATX. They have different connectors so you would need an atx connector so you might as well get a cheap atx power supply and test with that. I'm confused on the touch switch. Is it a buttor or a flat surface that doesn't move when you touch it? anyway, i would try disconnecting it first. see if when it is disconnected from the motherboard the computer shuts off intermittantly. If so then it is not a switch problem. I would not be surprised if this is a power supply problem. Check the atx connector for chared areas. I've had two computer give me similar problems because the power connector was burning.

Reply to
calvinsff