Defunct iPod

I've been given a 20gb iPod that has been dropped. It powers up and displays an icon of a sad iPod and a web address for service.

I've fixed many other things but have never been deeply into iPods. What should I look for first here? Is the disk drive likely to be defunct?

Reply to
mc

Hi!

Yes, the hard disk is likely the problem. Most everything else is pretty robust and able to stand a drop fairly well, aside from the display. Assuming the battery is reasonably good, it would be cost effective to repair it.

Depending upon the model, you should be able to get a new hard disk (they use either 2.5" laptop disks or smaller CF card sized "Microdrives") fairly cheaply. Disassembly instructions are easily found with a Google search.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

How cheaply?

Reply to
mc

More importantly -- Would the replacement disk need to be formatted or initialized somehow? Or would the iPod take care of that?

Reply to
mc

As far i know there are a few files on an ipod harddisk, other then that it's a standard notebook drive. I would suggest creating a disk image from another ipod and clone it back, there's freeware on the net or use ghost.

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 02:07:00 -0400, Bart Bervoets wrote (in article ):

Apple's Disk Utility (on a Mac) will reformat an iPod disk. I have used it to do so.

--
Nelson
Reply to

The iPod software is available from the Apple site. It's free.

As I recall, it does the update via iTunes, so it can be done by a Mac or PC.

Don

Reply to
Don Bowey

Hi!

You don't need these files. Applying iPod firmware will remake them for you, and you can download the latest firmware from Apple's web site.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

While you're at it, you can replace the drive with a bigger one if you like. Just make sure the new drive will fit since some ipods don't have enough room inside for some drives. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe