Video projector discharge lamp wattage?

Is it simply volts x amps? Taken when? at maximum, when heated up, or on some standard standing voltage, after start-up? Would one maker's 100W bulb be the same light and power draw as some other maker's 100w ?

N_Cook

Not necessarily. One maker's lamp could draw more current to produce the same output in lumens. I suppose a simple test could be made to answer your question if you had an original replacement and a prospective substitute. But unless you repair these things in volume the likelihood of having different bulbs to test is slim..

I would say to be safe use the original part. Unless your mind is wandering and you've asked this question for general knowledge :)

Reply to
Meat Plow

other

I measured a projector that has 300W consumption on the mains plate but no info for the bulb consumption. Added 0.1R in the supply line to the bulb gives an inferred reading of 2.8 amp and 80V over the lamp after 10 minutes to warm up , so 224 watts seems about right.

Interesting the brightness setting is just in the DLP chip , not the lamp. But selecting "low power" option does reduce the light output but with lamp volts staying at 80V , so presumably current draw is less, (0.1R disconnected by then). This option for reduced fan noise , if large display / high ambient light useage, is not required

N_Cook

other

Uh... Ignoring power factor... Power is power. Law of conservation of energy, right?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

lamp

display

I'd forgotten about the hook-up wire volts drop, about 145W, 80 volt, 1.8 amps for the lamp. DC that is of course

Reply to
N_Cook

On Sun, 10 May 2009 19:27:16 +0100, "N_Cook" put finger to keyboard and composed:

It seems to me that your lamp has a constant voltage characteristic and that its brightness is determined by a variable current source within an electronic ballast.

I would think that the arc voltage would be determined by the lamp's geometry. For example, could it be possible that one maker's 100W lamp A may be rated for 1A at 100V, whereas another maker's lamp B may be rated for 1.25A at 80V? If so, then a ballast designed for lamp B when used with lamp A may try to deliver a constant current of 1.25A, causing the lamp to dissipate 125W.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On Sun, 10 May 2009 19:27:16 +0100, "N_Cook" put finger to keyboard and composed:

You may like to read "Sam's and Don's D-Lamp FAQ -- Gas Discharge Lamps, Ballasts, and Fixtures".

Operation of Discharge Lamps on DC:

"... most discharge lamps are only partially compatible with DC, and some are not compatible at all."

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

no

2.8

seems

lamp.

A more complete set of readings for a 2004 Infocus X2

11,600 lux measuring with probe in the output from the lens. 50mm from the ring, with no video and white "blank" screen . With A4 sheet illuminated and a photographic light level meter, set for 100 ASA gave f4, 1/60 second reading. With ambient of 17 deg C. Using diode temperature probes, the parabolic reflector reached 85 deg C and 88 degree after switch off. The light tunnel reached 46 deg C. The housing between thermal switch and over the colourwheel reached 26 deg C and 47 deg C at switch off. Normal power use when warmed up 80V, 1.8 amp (measured with 0.1R in line and hookup wire volts-drop). At first striking then drops to about 20V then increases to 80V. If still hot when trying to power up then starts at 1300 volts, drops to 64V with no lamp , 470V down to 64V etc until the fans have cooled it down enough. Menu brightness change makes no difference to lamp brightness. Changing to low power setting does drop the light output, but volts stay at 80 V so presumably current drops, used for lower fan noise, very large screen display not required. Blue screen , no signal, low power setting, with thermometer bulb placed at lower left front where most heat is blown out took 10 minutes to stabilise at 25 deg C over ambient.

N_Cook