Ron(UK)

They've been using that in their lead guitar amps also since the 70's. I have 3 of them. I think whatever it is has a much higher melting point than hot glue.

--
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
#8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

other

Glooped over the body of the R and the leads or just the leads, cross-linked to something else or just glooped onto the pcb ?

N Cook

All the examples I`ve seen have had the stuff poured over the component body to an adjacent component or to the pcb, never on the leadouts. They seem to use something akin to Evostick around the bases of verticle smoothing caps.

The hard white stuff - more like pva glue than hot melt - tends to discolour and crack off the component in time, probly due to heat.

I doubt using standoffs improves the reliability much unless maybe it's the old fender method of using a brass tube fixed through the pcb with the leadout wire soldered at the lower end but free to move in the tube.

Crossover networks often have big components secured using cable ties around the part and through the board.

Big components fall off circuit boards, it`s a law of nature (and bread and butter work for repair technicians ;^)

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)