VGA plug wiring advice needed

Hi Folks

I've got myself in a right pickle trying to fix the broken cable on my TFT monitor. It's a Mitac MT-15AX1-NBU. I need to replace the 15 pin plug but due to an unfortunate turn of events, I don't know what pins some of the wires should solder to.

What I'm fairly sure about:

1 Red coaxial wire (RED) 2 Green coaxial wire (GREEN) 3 Blue coaxial wire (BLUE) 4 Short purple wire (ID GND) 5 Brown wire (GND) 6 Bridged with 7 & 8 (RED GND) 7 Bridged with 6 & 8 (GREEN GND) 8 Bridged with 6 & 7 (BLUE GND) 9 (+5v) 10 (Sync return/GND) 11 (ID GND) 12 Green wire (ID1/Data) 13 (Hz Sync) 14 Yellow wire (Vert Sync) 15 Orange wire (ID3/Clock)

The mystery wires:

A grey coaxial wire (thick like the R,G,B wires) A black wire The purple wire is a short length which does not continue up the cable to the monitor, so probably loops to another pin.

I guessed that the grey coaxial wire might be Horizontal Sync. When it is connected to pin 13, I get a very red, fuzzy picture.

Can anyone figure out how I should connect my mystery wires?

TIA Tim

Reply to
Tim Sampson

dunno why you're getting read and fuzzy. Did you connect the ground shields on the coax to pins 5-6-7-8-10?

If that still doesnt work, you can get vga cables pretty cheap on eBay.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

No, I havent connected the grounds. I will give it a go. However, that will still leave me with 2 wires that aren't connected.

Did I mention that the other end plugs directly into the monitor's internal board? If only they had used a standard plug to plug lead.

Thanks Tim

Reply to
mail

Not if it's a cable hard-wired into the monitor!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Do you still have the broken plug? When I've replaced those plugs before, I used an ohm meter to identify the wires on the plug.

Reply to
James Sweet

If only I had been that wise! The plug had a load of moulded gunk holding the wires in place. In trying to pull it away, I dislodged some of the wires so I don't know where they go.

Thanks Tim

Reply to
mail