PC Advice Needed

I've got a computer that has started to show a picture that's spread beyond the edge of my screen. As a result I'm losing parts of the text at the edges. It's also showing some pin cushion distortion The monitor, model 705, by Princeton, has a 17inch screen and has 4 buttons on the front which alows me to change the position, width, contrast, etc, But I can't seem to correct this problem. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Bill

Reply to
Bill

The Monitor needs to be serviced.

Reply to
kip

It's the monitor. Probably the high-voltage section is beginning to fail.

Suggest getting rid of it in favor of a nice LCD panel. I'm partial to Samsung's 'SyncMaster' series myself (I use their 910t). You can get a nice 19-incher for around the same price as a similar-sized CRT, and it'll draw a lot less power and last a lot longer.

If you do go that route, don't just throw the old monitor in the trash (it's got a bunch of lead in the CRT). Take it to a proper recycling station.

Happy hunting.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

Wow, LCDs must be very cheap or CRTs very expensive in your locality. Here in the UK a 19" TFT is still a good deal more expensive than a CRT model.

At

the cheapest 19" TFT is a Samsung SM913M at £183.

A Samsung Samtron 98PDF 19" CRT can be had from the same site for only £80.

True.

Well, that is by no means necessarily true IMO. I have many old CRT monitors which are still going strong 8 or more years on, and if they fail they can be fixed, usually quite cheaply. If TFTs develop a fault with the panel electronics they're often unrepairable or uneconomical to repair. Backlight problems can also be expensive as well.

I'd like to see LCD manufacturers coming up with standard, user replaceable CCFL cartridge units which can be slid in from the side without dismantling the monitor, and supplying reasonably priced CCFL replacements as spares.

It won't happen of course, so perhaps we might see more LED backlighting now that white LEDs are so intense and have decent predicted longevity. That has the potential to make LCD monitors have excellent lifespans by eliminating the weakest components.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

The same lack of repairability stands true for most crt monitors as well. Given the throw away low price, virtually all crt monitor manufactures (China, Singapore, etc) do not have any repair service information or parts available. Even the Sony based ones require the DAS interface and software which is not practical from a cost standpoint to buy unless you will repair large numbers of the same chassis series.

The same types of "common" easy faults like capacitors failures and other related problems are easy to fix for a good technician on a crt based and lcd based monitor without a schematic. In my experience about the same percentage of crt and lcd monitors actually are repairable.

Reply to
dkuhajda

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:07:08 -0800, Dr. Anton T. Squeegee put finger to keyboard and composed:

Not over here. However, I'd suggest that a 17" LCD would be a viable replacement as it would have only marginally less usable viewing area than a 19" CRT.

I suspect that the life of an LCD panel would be limited by its lamp(s), in which case I'd expect that the CRT monitor would last longer.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

That's been my experience so far, though the advantage is that the lamps are economical to replace, while a weak CRT is not. That said, I'm sticking with my beautiful 22" Sony flat CRT until it either dies or I come across a dead flat panel of similar size and 1600x1200 resolution that I can fix and use in its place.

Reply to
James Sweet

If there's anything that I know, it's computers. I own an isp my friedn John Pigye and I. Sometimes pushing buttons can't get it back the way it looked like before. You should look for a button on your monitor that says "reset" you might have leaned over and bumped some buttons and the picture looks the way that it does. If that doesn't work head on down to the manufacturer of your video card and download the latest drivers for it.

Reply to
Erich J. Schultheis, The Man w

Thanks guys. The consensus seems to confirm my own sneaky suspicion. I have a monitor problem possibly centered around the high voltage system. I recall a similar "blooming" picture on an old black and white TV. I'm inclined to first replace the high voltage tube since its about 8-9 years old, and maybe you can point me in the right direction. I removed the tilt mechanism and removed two phillips head screws from the bottom of the monitor but can't seem to get the case off. I don't want to use too much force. Any advice is greatfully acknowledged.

Thanks again . Bill

Reply to
Bill

No HV tube ....Solid State.

Reply to
kip

The high voltage tube? There are no tubes in a modern monitor except the picture tube or CRT, and that isn't your problem. Even if it were, you'd find it impractical/uneconomical to source a new replacement.

There may be a couple of hidden release catches under the top edge of the monitor. There may be some deep holes with screws or release catches that you missed. There's a few tricks to get monitor backs off, but it's hard to say without knowing exactly what type it uses.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

e=20

=A380.

=09Ah. Please pardon the mis-speak on my part. I didn't realize that=20 CRT monitors had dropped so drastically in price. NewEgg.com has, at=20 this momnet, 19" Samsung LCDs available in a range from USD $289 on up=20 to nearly $400, depending on the model and features.

=09I should have said that a replacement LCD costs less now than a=20

19" CRT monitor did 10 years ago.

l=20

e=20

=20

=09The same could be said of many CRT monitors now, because the=20 manufacturers of such are, apparently, increasingly reluctant to sell=20 service manuals or parts.

le=20

ng=20

=09No argument. Try finding two manufacturers who can agree on that,=20 though, let alone more than two! ;-)

now=20

has=20

g=20

=09True, true. You can also control the intensity of LEDs to a much=20 finer degree than you can CCFL. And let's not forget OLEDs -- They're=20 already in use in phones, and (as I understand it) some flat-panel TVs,=20 and they look pretty darn good.

=09Keep the peace(es).

--=20 Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute. (Known to some as Bruce Lane, ARS KC7GR,=20 kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=3Do=3Dt]calm --

"If Salvador Dali had owned a computer, would it have been equipped with surreal ports?"

Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee