icemaker problem

This is in an Amana side-by-side, FWIW.

Fills, freezes, starts a harvest cycle. Then it hangs up with all the ice cubes stuck on top of the icemaker, and the fingers don't complete their rotation since they're blocked by the ice. If I remove them manually, the cycle finishes, and more ice is made, which also ends up on top of the icemaker on the next harvest cycle. It's not overfilling, the cubes are normal size, and there is no overflow into the ice dispenser bucket.

Could it be a heater problem? Not sure since the cubes leave the tray, then get stuck on top. Weak motor?

The appliance repair sites I googled were not too helpful with this specific problem.

Think this is anything that removing the icemaker and cleaning it up will help, or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new icemaker?

Oh, BTW, the icemaker is just a little over a year old, sure didn't last too long.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Jerry

Reply to
jerry_maple

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 09:01:46 -0700, jerry_maple Has Frothed:

Sticking as in refreezing to a surface?

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Yeah, the cubes are almost completely upside down, sticking to the top surface of the icemaker tray, with the fingers pushing on the cubes at about the 10 o'clock position, but getting nowhere. When I break the cubes free manually, the fingers continue the rest of their cycle to the normal 2 o'clock parking position, and the tray refills normally. Kinda strange, seems like the heater is working well enough to release the cubes from the tray, but then they get hung up and stick to the top of the tray strongly enough that the fingers can't move them and complete the harvest cycle.

I'm going to take the icemaker out tonight and see if anything looks funny. Just wondered if anybody had run across this problem before.

Jerry

Reply to
jerry_maple

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:54:25 -0700, jerry_maple Has Frothed:

Well I haven't had this problem before but I did service commercial ice makers at one time. Obviously the ice is too wet when it's released or it wouldn't refreeze like that.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Could it be that the defrost circuit isn't working in the fridge? Wonder why it's so wet?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

ice

their

the

are

Try slightly raising the temperature in the freezer, if its adjustable. It may be that having the temp cranked very low may cause the motor/fingers to turn slower, and the supercold surface may flash freeze the cubes to the tray edge.

Deke

Reply to
Deke

Last batch, the fingers were stuck IN the ice, went to the appliance parts store, they said it was probably something to do with the temp sensor or the heater, told me there aren't any replaceable parts in a modular icemaker anyway, far as I could see, that's true. Asked them why the last one I bought at the same store only lasted 2 years, they said that's about all I can expect with the cr@ppy water here in Phoenix. Could be right, my fridge water is filtered but there was still a lot of calcium buildup in the icemaker tray. Or, it could be they sell you parts that will self destruct in 2 years, just to keep you coming back. The parts store sure had a large pile of icemakers in boxes, right in front of the counter. Bought a new one, plugged it in, woke to the sight of ice in the bucket this morning.

Life is good,

Jerry

Reply to
jerry_maple

Wow, 2 years seems awfully short, the ice maker in my fridge is 5 years old now and the one in my grandmas fridge was still going at around 30 years when the fridge was replaced for something else.

A good external water filter might help.

Reply to
James Sweet

My thoughts exactly.

Reply to
jerry_maple

{snip}

Could have been worn or missing teeth at some point in the gearbox to cause the fingers to lose drive just at that crucial moment. :-(

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

It

I can relate to the hard water problem. Here in the Ozarks, our water is so hard, a hot water tank, even with regular flushing, wont last more than 8 years. Humidifiers clog up regularly, and everything around the sink or tub will have a white haze. Water filters clog immediately. Good luck on your new icemaker.

Reply to
Deke