Use the chassis of a TV set (without picture tube) as a video souce

I have a 5 years old RCA tv that required a new picture tube just after de warranty had expired and the price for the installation of a new tube was ridiculous. It was a good lemon but it was a lemon. I would like to use the set as one more video source to drive an external monitor ( it has pic on pic). If I power the set without the picture tube and yoke load, will it give nothing but sparks? Then what do you suggest that I should disconnect in order to use it as I mentioned. I have the service manual some where and if I get some encouragement from you, I will look for it. Thanks in advance. John

Reply to
John

The line scan coils are part of the tuned resonant circuit so if you remove them it will overload the PSU. Removing the CRT leaves you with a free hanging EHT lead at 25kV and you can't remove the EHT transformer because certain windings supply feedback for the sync separator.

Reply to
ian field

I really don't think that is a good idea. The HV in the system is an integral part of not only supplying HV, but, supplying other signals required for various processes like Low voltage sources, signal references to monitor sync etc..

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

What on earth would you get out of doing this? Just junk it.

Reply to
James Sweet

You can get all of the free VCRs you want. Use them.

--
.
Reply to

Not to mention several other LT rails, which may or may not be used in the signal stages, and probably a pulse that's used by the colour decoder. On some FBT's, the EHT lead is removable. If that set is one of them, you may be able to remove it and fill the plastic tube that's left behind, with silicone rubber to stop the lightning flying out of it, but as Ian says, the scan yoke is an integral part of the circuit, and would have to be left connected.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thanks to all of you. I am going to use the old VCR idea. John

Reply to
John

Especially when an old mechanically dead VCR will do exactly what the OP wants!

Reply to
PeterD

However, I thought that the whole point of asking the question, was so that you would be able to make use of the TV set's features, such as PiP. You won't find too many VCR's laying around that can do that ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Don't they have DVB-T set top boxes where the OP is?

In the UK a basic freeview decoder price has plunged to about £25, I recently bought a freeview DVR with 160Gb hard drive (80 hours recording) with dual tuner and PIP for £99. Well worth the money to watch one programme while recording something on another channel.

Reply to
ian field

Correct. I have one , JVC S8000 U that has that, may be I can use it. It's an old but excelente machine that can also use S tapes . I don't know if those tapes are available today

John

Reply to
John

Why would you need to take out the picture tube to use it like described?

Couldn't you just do what you plan on doing with the picture tube intact?

Reply to
Paul Feaker

Why bother with the size and inconvenience..... use a mechanically challenged scrap VCR for the purpose. It is smaller, uses less power and is in a nice contained cabinet. Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

- - - - - - - - -

Reply to
Sofie

Hey sofa, instead of a VCR, why not use a DVD player so you can watch this DVD I have.

they show a fat boy screaming and crying while he's being beaten with a baton.

Reply to
Brittany Martin

I like the old, separate TV tuners for the early portable VCRs. I've converted two or three already. Basically, you remove the large cable with that plugs in in place of the camera. Find the audio and video, and mount a couple connectors on a plate to cover the hole where the old cable was removed. Takes me 10-15 minutes to convert one. I left one at a TV station as a spare off air demod. The video engineer like it better than the $20,000 Tektronics system because it was a closer match to what a typical home TV saw when it was fed to his monitors. He used the Tektronics for quality measurements, but my converted equipment for live shows.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, he's already watching the DVD of you butt ass naked with a bucket of KFC.

Reply to
Malissa Baldwin

Michael: Yes.... the 2pc VCR units were a good candidate to permanently separate..... I did many like you did, and in addition, separated the VCR, added 12 V power and A/V connectors so that it could be used without the turner and AC power supply..... many customers used them for their RVs and trailers. Most of these 2pc units, however, were old enough that their TV tuners were not fully "cable ready" with all of the current cable channels so in today's world, I use a cheap, discarded VCR that still powers up.... makes a decent tuner with today's capabilities... but as you know, most of those older tuners were more sensitive and usually worked better for fringe off-air reception. Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

- - - - - -

Reply to
Sofie

That's why I used them, and we weren't worried about cable channels so they were the perfect choice. Set it up, stick it into the bottom of a relay rack, and feed it to the A/V switcher/router.

If someone wants the cable channels, they have little choice but to use the newer VCR tuners.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida