My picture tube is filled up. . . .

Posted - April 1, 2013

I have a problem with my television. It appears that my picture tube is filled up with pictures. There is a message scrolling across the screen that says "Your Picture Tube is Full - To continue using this Television, please drain the old Pictures from the Tube". I'm sure I can do this, but I cant find the drain plug? Where is it? The tv is a

1950 Motorola console model with 19.5 inch screen.

After 63 years of constant use, I suppose it has reached it's limit. In fact the tv set weighs about 3 times as much as it did when I purchased it new, in 1950. It must be all those old pictures that add to the weight.

Reply to
jackdonkey

  1. Open back of set
  2. Power up set till screen is at full brightness
  3. grab-a-hold of the BLACK rubber plug on the side of the picture tube, the one with the RED pull-cord attached.

Keep pulling until all the pictures are drained out.

Oh yea, keep smiling !!

Reply to
hamilton

It should be noted that pulling that plug can let quite a lot of pictures out even if the set has been turned off for days. People can be quite surprised.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

On a sunny day (Tue, 16 Apr 2013 16:48:40 +1000) it happened Sylvia Else wrote in :

It is illegal, you will get sued by Hollywood for re-releasing old movies.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

** Back in the 1950s, this yarn was quite a bit simpler.

TV service guys would tell customers ( tongue in cheek ) that after a while, you will need to get them out to clear your set out of all the dead cowboys and Indians......

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Its only a problem if you watch a lot of Westerns and don't shake out the dead cowboys once a week.

Reply to
Ian Field

one

Safety first! All those pictures will be under a lot of pressure so be sure to wear safety glasses. Art

Reply to
Artemus