Unexpected inverter board shutdown

Hi everybody,

I've got a strange problem that really puzzles me, concerning an HV inverter board for the CFL lamps in a noname flat panel monitor with Hyundai boards and components.

Problem: Inverter board shuts down after generating HV for about half a second.

Details: Two outputs on the board for altogether four lamps, two transformers, two XA something switchmode controller ICs, one unidentified small IC, four power transistors, a couple of discrete transistors and diodes, all SMD.

What I did to locate the fault:

  1. Tested outside the monitor with known good voltage supply. Same.
  2. Tested without lamps. Same.
  3. Hooked lamps to one output at a time only. Same.
  4. Checked all discrete semiconductors. All seem ok.
  5. Replaced the only electrolytic cap. Same.
  6. Checked transformer operation using an oscilloscope probe on top. Pure sine on both transformers. Independent of whether lamps are connected. No distortions. Frequency about 42 kHz.

I googled a lot but found nothing so far. Now I'm at my wit's end. Maybe anyone knows something about the shutdown logic used in such boards?

Thanks for your help!

Regards, Leo

Reply to
Leo Meyer

It's probably detecting bad or no lamps, there's a resistor on many of those that can drift up in value making that detection too sensitive.

Reply to
James Sweet

Leo: Some inverter boards use a ceramic capacitor across the primary of the high-voltage transformer. I have had a few inverters where this capacitor was bad causing the inverter to shut down very quickly. I think the value of the capacitor was about 0.1Uf at 100 volts. Hope this helps... John

Reply to
jdgill