twisted power cord

I need some help. I got this power cord that has been twisted around a pole for at least a couple of years. When I tried to un-twist it, the cord would not comply (which is not surprising since it has been wrapped around this pole for years). My question is, how do I get the cord to un-twist and if that is even possible, can I still use it?

I hope this is the right newsgroup to post this too. If not, please give me advise on where this posting might go.

Thanks for any help!!

Reply to
bondurantman

pole

would

me

maybe a little heat gun or even hair drier might soften thing up a little. don't over do it though. if the cord is damaged consider writing it off and throwing it away.

Reply to
TimPerry

insulation is damaged. buy a replacement.

Reply to
buffalobill

You should never use a power cable when coiled - it acts like an inductor and heats up. Hence the warning on drum extension leads about always extending them fully. Sounds like you've used it at high current (for that cable gauge) and melted the insulation enough for it to re-form to that shape.

--
*What boots up must come down *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" bravely wrote to "All" (29 Nov 05 23:36:10) --- on the heady topic of "twisted power cord"

bo> Subject: twisted power cord bo> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:349905

bo> I need some help. I got this power cord that has been twisted around bo> a pole for at least a couple of years. When I tried to un-twist it, bo> the cord would not comply (which is not surprising since it has been bo> wrapped around this pole for years). My question is, how do I get the bo> cord to un-twist and if that is even possible, can I still use it?

bo> I hope this is the right newsgroup to post this too. If not, please bo> give me advise on where this posting might go.

bo> Thanks for any help!!

Heat it first with a gun or by dunking it in hot or boiling water...

A*s*i*m*o*v

... Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well.

Reply to
Asimov

"Dave Plowman (News)" bravely wrote to "All" (30 Nov 05 10:08:06) --- on the heady topic of "Re: twisted power cord"

DP(> From: "Dave Plowman (News)" DP(> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:349940

DP(> In article , DP(> wrote: > I need some help. I got this power cord that has been twisted around a > pole for at least a couple of years. When I tried to un-twist it, the > cord would not comply (which is not surprising since it has been wrapped > around this pole for years). My question is, how do I get the cord to > un-twist and if that is even possible, can I still use it?

DP(> You should never use a power cable when coiled - it acts like an DP(> inductor and heats up.

It's an old wives tale. Haven't you ever heard of a transmission line?

A*s*i*m*o*v

... Electrical Engineers do it with more frequency and less resistance.

Reply to
Asimov

I've seen plenty of melted extension reel cables...

--
*Work like you don't need the money.  Love like you've never been hurt.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have no experience with this, but couldn't your reel be melted due to too much current on too small of wire rather than being wound up?

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

A lot of times what happens is the coiled up cable can't dissipate heat as it can if it's stretched out along the floor. The induction might have some effect, but an air core inductor at 60Hz in series with a load won't have much effect.

Reply to
James Sweet

If the cord cannot be flexible, then it is dried out, and is probably no longer safe. It would be best to cut it off, and have the power cord in your appliance completely replaced.

--

JANA _____

I hope this is the right newsgroup to post this too. If not, please give me advise on where this posting might go.

Thanks for any help!!

Reply to
JANA

No.

--
*Reality?  Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The inductance of a coiled AC line cord is the same as an uncoiled cord.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

"Dave Plowman (News)" bravely wrote to "All" (01 Dec 05 01:17:51) --- on the heady topic of "Re: twisted power cord"

DP(> From: "Dave Plowman (News)" DP(> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:350071

DP(> In article , DP(> Asimov wrote: > DP(> You should never use a power cable when coiled - it acts like an > DP(> inductor and heats up.

DP(> I've seen plenty of melted extension reel cables...

Many of those use #18 AWG cable, not so surprising if melting occurs.

A*s*i*m*o*v

... Power is obtained by current meeting resistance

Reply to
Asimov

Almost the same reason as why wet hay will start a fire.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

On 01 Dec 2005 08:38:07 -0500, Sam Goldwasser put finger to keyboard and composed:

Because the net current in the coil(s) is zero, and therefore the magnetic field is zero?

-- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Yep. :) Trace the current flow for a complete circuit and you'll see that for every turn in one direction, there is one in the opposite direction.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Is that the new politically correct way of memorizing the color code? I grew up with the politically incorrect version.

Is this "official" or something you came up with? cv

Reply to
Caesar Valenti

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:11:06 GMT, Asimov wrote a *LOT* of Color Code Memory Phrases:

Jeez! You need a hobby! :-)

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

"Allodoxaphobia" bravely wrote to "All" (02 Dec 05 18:04:46) --- on the heady topic of "Re: RCC Mnemonics"

Al> From: Allodoxaphobia Al> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:350199

Al> On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:11:06 GMT, Asimov wrote a *LOT* of Al> Color Code Memory Phrases:

Al> Jeez! You need a hobby! :-)

I didn't write them... I only collected them here from folk just like you. ;-)

A*s*i*m*o*v

... 'Keep the smoke inside.' -- 1st Rule of Electronics.

Reply to
Asimov