TV Power Cord

Hi,

I just had a shop replace the power cord on a Sony KV-27FS100L tube TV. (An in home service call.) The guy who did the repair said that the connector on the replacement cord which connects to the board is not an exact fit, but is the closest they had and will work. (And yes, the TV does work). But because the connector is not as tight fitting as the original, the repair guy said it is very important to have very good strain relief to avoid tension on the cord. (I was not home when it was repaired, this is what I was told by the person who was home.) However, when I got home, I found that the repair guy did not put a strain relief device in the hole where the cord is supposed to exit the TV. Instead, he deliberately wedged the cord between where the bottom and back parts of the case meet. This was his idea for strain relief. (The original hole where the cord used to exit is now just an empty hole.)

Problem is, the wedged cord causes the case not to fit together properly. The bottom is now uneven, so the TV sits a little bit crooked. If you lift up the back of the TV, you can see the bottom bulging out on one side, looking like it's going to break the plastic tab. My other concern is that the cord is wedged between a protrusion of the bottom and the back case, so the 100lbs of weight from this TV is now pinching this cord. So my questions are:

Is this safe? Can this pinch the cord enough to damage the internal conductors or cord insulation? This TV literally weighs 100 pounds.

Is this really a stronger strain relief than just obtaining a strain relief device for the hole the cord is supposed to exit through?

The shop was contacted, and asked if the proper replacement cord could be obtained, even if we have to pay extra for the cord itself. (As long as we are not charged for another service call or more labor.) The shop called back after a day and said the exact replacement cord is no longer available, and they don't have access to any. They said they'd get back to us later, they haven't yet.

If the cord isn't available, should they at least be able to get a strain relief device to fit the hole so the cord isn't wedged in between the case parts? And would such a strain relief be strong enough even though the connector on the board doesn't fit as tight as the original?

Thanks

Reply to
NF

Make sure the batteries in your smoke detectors are fresh.

And your insurance is paid up.

geesh!

tm

Keep a class ABC fire extinguisher handy and you should be ok.

Meat Plow

To answer the poster's question. It is the responsibility of the shop to perform a safe repair. What you describe may or may not be safe but is certainly not professional.

Insist that they either install a properly fitting cord or if indeed it isn't made any longer (which sounds suspect but I don't know how old the set is), then there are various workarounds they could have done that would have been both safe and looked decent cosmetically.

It sounds like they just wanted to get away with the simplest fastest repair possible without regard to how safe it was or how it looked.

--
    sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

subject line.  Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.
Reply to
Samuel M. Goldwasser

Hi!

No, not particularly. I wouldn't call it seriously dangerous, but it's unprofessional and could lead to damage of the set or injury to a person if the cord were to be snagged or tripped over.

relief

No. A proper strain relief needs to be installed. The one from the old cord can sometimes be removed and reused.

You may want to check with Sony parts to see if the right cord is really available. I would not be surprised if it was and this shop was being lazy.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Well I did answer the poster's question, William. Actually there were many questions. I considered them all and replied accordingly. If you have some other point to get across then try replying to the original post next time.

Thanks.

Meat Plow

Erp.. got my Sam and William's mixerd up sorry :)

Meat Plow

The part number is 1-824-069-11 and has been discontinued by Sony, although it is possible a Sony servicer in your area may have one or a similar one laying around.

The strain relief is molded and cannot really be substituted.

I would ask the servicer to re-do his "strain relief" to allow the set to sit correctly, show you exactly what was done this time and explain how this is a safe fix. It may be fine but there are just so many inadequate and unsafe repairs of this type. From what I read - I don't trust it.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

The safestway to do it would have been to cut off the plug, tie an electrician's knot on it to act as a strain relief and then thread it out through the hole the old cord used and then connect the inside end to the TV set.

If an electrician's knot was not practical, I would have made a large regular knot and on the side that went against the case, use a large nylon cable tie to act as a buffer.

The I would have put a plug on it.

The problem with that, is the moment he does anything besides put a Sony cord on it, or modifies the cord in any way, he exposes himself and his employer to liability so without signing a release, you probably got the best you could get in the US. (assuming you are in the US)

A less dangerous (legally) fix would have been to enlarge the hole so that the plug could go out, and then it would need an awfully large knot to act as a strain relief. There also would be the possibility that unless he covered it up, someone could poke a finger or stick into the hole and get electrocuted.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order

If the original is no longer available, I would have installed a common IEC connector and trimmed the opening to all a standard cord to be plugged in. Both are easy to find, even if you have to strip the connector from a computer power supply.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

it's not safe. It's a shitty repair job as well.

There's lots of ways this repair could be done, without the original cord set and without pinching the cord in the cabinet.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 18:31:06 -0500, "NF" wrote:

[...]

As others have stated, this is a bodge job and there are a few ways it can be solved without too much trouble.

For example, is the cord 2 conductor fig.8 or 3 conductor round?

Different types of strain relief bushing products available to suit most situations and can be viewed here

If I can get them in Australia then I am sure that wherever you are located you can get them also.

Reply to
Ross Herbert