TVs and unshielded speakers

On 5/23/2009 2:49 AM Ron spake thus:

Real loco motors (i.e., traction motors) don't have magnets. Use field coils.

David Nebenzahl

Oh, I thought we were talking about model railway track - I doubt he could have got a 'Real Loco' on top of his TV

Why whould you put a length of... oh never mind (I used to have a conrod and piston on top of mine)

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Yeah, real track. 50 or 100 lbs. of steel, I don't remember quite how heavy it was.

OT: You gotta hand it to Lionel's founder, Joshua Lionel Cowen. A real marketing genius. He referred to the real trains on which his toys were modeled as "prototypes."

Reply to
Smitty Two

You must not have played around much with speakers. Even the shielded ones have a little effect, and it also depends how well the drivers are made and the shielding they employ. Its easy to see effects of unshielded speakers from a foot ot two away.

When drivers are made, they can be designed to have minimal external fields before shielding. Its a manufacturing design cost thing.

greg

Reply to
GregS

A strong magnetic field close to a CRT tv or monitor could magnetise the steel shadow mask. This will lead to purity errors or splodges of colour as the beams are diverted from their usual path, hitting the wrong phosphors. All CRT's have a degauzing circuit built around the tube, which will only operate from cold - so leave set off for five mins before trying. The shadowmask is allowed to move as it heats up, they can dissipate many watts, so it is unlikely to distort unless an extremely powerfull magnet is placed right on the screen. Usually only happens when it has been dropped. If the internal degauzing cct does not do the job then a degauzing wand or similar ( a coil with alternating magnetic field) is used. this you have to start close to the set and move away while rotating untill you are out of range. inverse square law applies. speakers from2002 that are used for A/V will certainly(almost) to be sheilded.

Reply to
martin

and

Don't tell me... This was to stop the buzz from the internal speaker grill?

Why not bend the track and wheel the TV around on it?

Reply to
JB

50 - 100 pounds would only be a few feet of standard rail used in the US. I had a one foot piece of scrap rail someone had ground into a crude anvil that weighed 45 pounds.
Michael A. Terrell

Nah, just home decor. I had a few pieces of railroad junk lying around. I had actually just sold the TV when I removed the rail and the colors went haywire. They buyer got real nervous, but I hit it with my degaussing coil and cleared it right up. I guess the rail had become part of the magnetic field of the CRT, gradually over time.

Reply to
Smitty Two

Nothing that can't be fixed with a degaussing wand. If the colours on your screen are distorting, your speakers are too close.

Unshielded, most likely.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Eventually.

Yes. Eventually. Each time you power-cycle the TV, it should fade, or even go away. You can fix it in one go with a degaussing wand, but that's probably overkill for a small splotch.

Nah, if they don't see it themselves & you're not silly enough to tell them, it'll be fine.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

From experience, I've found that the TVs own degaussing coil can deal with a surprising amount of magnetisation.