Trying to get into the BIOS

try "bcndk1" (I found that by googling "baracuda bios password")

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.

In article , mike writes

Try the ctbios utility from here:

the output is in German, but not hard to follow. That may show you what the password is.

I had the same problem with an HP Vectra VL420 motherboard last week. This uses a modified Asus P4B-MX board. An unknown password was set on the BIOS setup so I could not configure the machine.

The debug trick worked to deliberately cause a CMOS checksum error, but it didn't get rid of the password. Googling found me a link with a tip to set a certain jumper to clear the passwords and that worked.

I tried the ctbios utility above but that didn't show me anything that looked like a password.

If you google for "BIOS backdoor password" or "BIOS master password" you'll get a lot of hits with lists of different passwords to try.

There will be a way to do it, just persevere.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

On 4/19/2011 11:44 AM Geoffrey S. Mendelson spake thus:

Heh; I do agree that that is an excellent reason for swift thread termination!

--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

   yo
   wassup
   nuttin
   wan2 hang
   where
   here
   l8tr
   by

- from Usenet (what's *that*?)
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Bingo! Geoff, your google-fu is incredible, I never would have thought to try that.

I got right into the bios, disabled write protect and the passwords, then was able to go flash the board into the most recent bios version. Sure was nice to see the flash program complete like it was supposed to.

Many thanks! Mike

Reply to
mike

When I tried out KILLCMOS I guess it really did kill it cause the computer shut down all on it's own - had a few minutes there I thought I was SOL, but it came back on when I cycled power to the 'puter - whew!

I think that somehow the flash memory was being refreshed after each onslaught against the checksums or whatever it was that those debug routines do.

Reply to
mike

Thanks for the link, I'll be checking that out tomorrow, but in my leisure, as Geoff M. was able to come up with the right password - what a great group!

Thanks to you all, Mike

Reply to
mike