Battery replacement Sony MDR-IF5 headphones?

Any one know how to get a replacement battery for these cordless headphones please? I called Sony and they told me that they are a

1-528-287-11. They then said that these have been replaced by the 152817971 which is alson apparently not available.

On further checking, they said they are in fact a triple A.

I cant figure out how on earth to put a triple A into these narrow headphones

Anyone got any ideas please?

Reply to
myfathersson

Have you opened the headphones to confirm or deny the size of the batteries?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Don't know if it was the same model, but I did battery replacements on a few Sony Wireless headphone sets for a friend of mine who buys retailers' 'returns' by the pallet-load. These ones were indeed a pair of AAA NiMHi cells, but they were bonded together into a 'carrier' package that had a slot up the middle to correspond to a small offset 'wall' in the battery compartment, to make sure that they could not be inserted backwards. But here's the trick. The carrier was important to the operation, as it worked a tiny little switch as the batteries were inserted. This is presumably to stop people inserting dry cell AAAs, which of course would then get mighty upset when you put the headphones back on their charging station. The unfortunate thing is, that it also prevents you from putting in a couple of loose AAA re-chargables. I got around this by cutting a piece of modeler's plastic to the size of the base of the original package. I then used a sharp scalpel to cut out the required slot, and finally fixed the cells to the plastic base with hot melt glue. When this 'assembly' is inserted into the battery compartment, the switch is pushed over by the plastic base, and the batteries are then allowed to charge, and power the headphones.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

es?

I managed to get a Sony pro on the phone this afternoon and he confirmed that from the manual they are button cells of some type which look (to him) about three times the width of any normal button cell??

The unit has to be taken fully apart to get at it so i was wondering if anyone had gone through this exercise before (before I do and discover that there is indeed no replacement!)

Reply to
myfathersson

NO IT IS NOT A AAA!! well it is Sept 2014 now...mine still works after...27 years!! It is a button battery...don't know if available. Why mine hasn't died by now is mystery. I don't think you have anything to lose by taking i t apart since THE IF5 (1F5? ) is VERY OLD. GOOD LUCK.

Reply to
gtt28221

** The old button cells are certain to be NiCd types - which have not been made for about a decade.

You may be able to replace them with NiMH button cells of the same physical size.

My local parts supplier ( WES Components) has Varta brand in various sizes like 7 x 25mm and a few series connected packs too..

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

========== I've been searching for replacement batteries for a long time. I've owned t hree sets of the Sony MDR-IF5 headphones. They're simply GREAT. I love them because they are lightweight and the sound quality suits me fine. Good tre ble. But my last set is 22 years old, still running on the original battery , and when it's done for I'll be really sad. I think I will see if someone can substitute any kind of battery, even a wired dry cell, so I can keep us ing it. --Jim, Louisville KY

Reply to
jjimshaw

Amanda, please post your e-mail address (or send it to me), and I'll send you the service manual at no charge.

Forgive me, but I found it in less than two minutes.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Hi can you tell me know how you manage to disamble the head phones ? and the w ay to replace the battery ? thank in advance gb

Reply to
gbuffard

I don't know how to open the headphone to find the battery

Reply to
Marv