Tougher modula jacks

Evey month the little lever thingie snaps off the modular RJ11 mail connector on my laptop's dialup modem cable and I have to crimp on a new one. Not a major sweat, but are there tougher, maybe metalic connectors that don't keep snapping? Do they work with the same crimpers?

BTW, what is the smallest (still cheap) crimper? Maybe on a stick you press down instead of clamp like a plier? Idea is it should be like a screwdrive, disposable and in pocket.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

BioStrategist

Bimbos]

Could you make a sort of soft sprung mount inside the exposed finger-tab piece, perhaps some cable sleeve and hotmelt glue each side, Then if/when the original hinge end fails , remake with some hotmelt glue at that end. Hotmelt string details on my tips files, off below

N_Cook

Or ...

Adrian C
Reply to
Adrian C

Thanks! You folks in this newsgroup are great!

(THis is how nesgroups were fifteen years ago!)

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

To reduce breakage of those little tabs, you could get some heat-shrinkable tubing that is just barely big enough to make it over the connector (You can stretch it a little by pushing it down over the tip of a needle-nose pliers and forcing the jaws open slightly...) and then heating the end of the tube that's away from the connector, to shrink it. That gives you a sleeve you can slide down over the tab.

snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

Reply to
Mark Allread

BioStrategist

disclaimed.}---

guards]

Bimbos]

Don't they usually break at the plastic bending non-hinge hinge?

Reply to
N_Cook

Yeah, but that's because the get snagged and bent around the wrong way.

Jeff

--
?Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.?
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com
Reply to
Jeffrey D Angus

So the heatshrink thing was just a pouch for stowage when knocking about in the spaghetti in carrying cases etc

Reply to
N_Cook

Basically yeah, it keeps the free end of the tab from getting snagged and bent around the wrong way. And subsequently breaking off.

Jeff

--
?Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.?
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com
Reply to
Jeffrey D Angus

Yep. To reduce breakage. It just a quick-and-cheap way to provide what some commercially-made=20 cables do: A cover over the open tip of the tab, gripping the cable=20 behind the connector, so the connector doesn't snag on things when you=20 pull the cable out from behind somebody's desk.

Now, if somebody could prevent VGA connector screw-knobs from snagging=20 on things, the world would be a better place.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Easy. I have a few pieces of vinyl chemistry hose in my wiring box. For DE-15/HD-15 connectors, it's about 6" long. I slide each end over the screws and tywrap the middle to the cable. I then pull it through the hole, wire bundle, wire tangle, or (cringe) conduit as needed. However, I don't leave it that way after installing it.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com