Can a voltage drop affect a computer?

I just set up an air conditioner in the same room as my computer. I've = noticed that whenever the air conditioner turns on, the light in my room = dims for a split second and then goes back to normal. The computer, lamp, = and air conditioner are all plugged into different electrical socket = panels.

I'm wondering if the voltage drop that happens whenever the air = conditioner turns on could affect my computer in any way? Could it = somehow corrupt the memory or anything like that?

Reply to
curious

that whenever the air conditioner turns on, the light in my room dims for a split second and then goes back to normal. The computer, lamp, and air conditioner are all plugged into different electrical socket panels.

turns on could affect my computer in any way? Could it somehow corrupt the memory or anything like that?

Please adjust your newsreader to use shorter line lengths.

80 characters is often considered the max but lower tends to be more readable. That may result in more replies, too.

Yes the drop can effect a computer, but on most (better) PSU several stages of capacitor filters will buffer it enough. you might want to run some stress tests on CPU, memory, video (if you're a gamer) to verify stability while the heavy applicances like an AC unit are power cycling.

You might also consider a separate circuit for the AC, or the computer, or even an online UPS (with line conditioner built-in) if it continues to concern you.

Reply to
kony

No.

The ATX power supply has a store of energy in the capacitor on the primary side of the supply. Even if the power is removed for 15 milliseconds or so, there is enough energy stored to keep the output of the power supply stable. (And, in fact, that is why a UPS is able to operate computer equipment without a problem - it takes time for the UPS to switch to batteries, and the holdup capacity of the supply is why the computer doesn't even notice.) When you buy an ATX supply, some of the advertisements tell you what the holdup time spec is.

The power supply is also rated to run at reduced voltage, so if a 110V circuit drops to 90V, the ATX supply will continue on. So the supply can resist electrical disturbances.

If a disturbance lasts long enough, then yes, the output will glitch, but we're talking a pretty hefty load, and likely not a load that can be sustained without tripping a breaker.

Now, all of this assumes you have wiring that is up to code, and the air conditioner is on a circuit rated to carry the load.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I'm wondering if the voltage drop that happens whenever the air conditioner turns on could affect my computer in any way? Could it somehow corrupt the memory or anything like that?

--- REPLY SEPARATOR --- (only needed due to OP using quoted-printable for newsgroup post)

The power supply in a computer is a switching power supply. It will regulate its output voltages with the input voltage ranging from 90 to

135 VAC in 120VAC mode (180 to 265 VAC in 240VAC mode).
Reply to
Vanguard

--
                   Mike Walsh
            West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

Yes it could. Does it?

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Yes it can effect your PC - it could even corrupt your hard drive. It depends on a lot of factors such as the duration of the power glitch, the quality of the power supply in your PC and how close it's operating to it's rated capacity.

Personally I'd recommend using something like a Belkin UPS. A simple transient supressor is unlikely to have any effect as they are designed to prevent much shorter duration spikes.

Reply to
CWatters

noticed that whenever the air conditioner turns on, the light in my room dims for a split second and then goes back to normal. The computer, lamp, and air conditioner are all plugged into different electrical socket panels.

turns on could affect my computer in any way? Could it somehow corrupt the memory or anything like that?

When I used to teach we had the school heating system kick in at a specific time and all the computers would lock up. Now, my Freeview set top box drops the picture and sound when our household heating system starts up and that's using a PowerClean plug system that's meant to take out spikes etc, so I'd say "yes, it's possible!"

Richard.

--
   Two updates tools for 3D Studio Max
Reply to

That's why I always recommend a *ferrorsonant* based UPS...

as there is *no* switchover lag at all

(at worst, a minor decrease in amplitute)

Reply to
philo

that whenever the air conditioner turns on, the light in my room dims for a split second and then goes back to normal. The computer, lamp, and air conditioner are all plugged into different electrical socket panels.

turns on could affect my computer in any way? Could it somehow corrupt the memory or anything like that?

It "could," but how likely that is would depend on lots of factors . . . Try it an see.

If it is on another circuit and the wiring is sized heavy enough things should be OK. Having the lights dim would cause me to question which circuit lights and AC are on, or the quality/size of the wiring, or service capacity to the house.

If you get some specific symptoms post about those along with the same questions, there may be an easy remedy.

My electric range was talking to my modem causing it to drop out - a power filter on the range cured that. The 120 VAC switch on the speaker amplifier for the computer would cause the computer power supply to drop out and crash my system - a snubber across the switch contacts and a ferrite bead fixed that.

default

I've noticed that whenever the air conditioner turns on, the light in my room dims for a split second and then goes back to normal. The computer, lamp, and air conditioner are all plugged into different electrical socket panels.

conditioner turns on could affect my computer in any way? Could it somehow corrupt the memory or anything like that?

I believe some of the small switching power supplies ("wall wart") have poor holdup time characteristics. If the wall wart used the older style transformer, bridge rectifier, and filter capacitor, it would be less likely to drop out.

This is an example of a switching power supply (wall wart):

As another poster pointed out, there are other mechanisms that can cause glitches in electronics. Common mode chokes, ferrite beads, and other after-market devices can be used to defeat the problems. But why should users have to reengineer the stuff they paid good money for ?

Paul

Reply to
Paul

It could possibly burn out your power supply unit, and hence possibly your motherboard.

-- DaveW

I'm wondering if the voltage drop that happens whenever the air conditioner turns on could affect my computer in any way? Could it somehow corrupt the memory or anything like that?

Reply to
DaveW

It could possibly burn out your power supply unit, and hence possibly your motherboard.

-- DaveW

I'm wondering if the voltage drop that happens whenever the air conditioner turns on could affect my computer in any way? Could it somehow corrupt the memory or anything like that?

Reply to
DaveW

noticed that whenever the air conditioner turns on, the light in my room dims for a split second and then goes back to normal. The computer, lamp, and air conditioner are all plugged into different electrical socket panels.

turns on could affect my computer in any way? Could it somehow corrupt the memory or anything like that? hmm, to be safe i would use a UPS on the computer.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Okay for all of you not skilled in inductive appliances

Startup current foi rthe typical A/C compressor is about 115 amps

droppoing rapidly to 40 in the next few milliseconds, and the finalizing at running current of 6-12 amps. Air-conditioners ar highly-inductive loads

Surge suppressors are meant to resist high-spikes from electrica

interference, including power-station switching, not short-ter brown-outs

The current stored in a copmputer's P/S cap is NOT enough to sustai

voltage for any duration, simply because it is only to filte incoming supply ripple, not output ripple. Once you lose power an line frequency, the power supply function is immediately halte because there is no timing reference signal for which to switch th supply at. The circuit collapses entirely and nothing in the circui sustains any voltage to anything, since the oscillator signal i obtained by an opto-coupler that reads crude DC ripple as sync-pulse

A USPS (not just a UPS) is the best way to protect your machine fro

any voltage variation, since the batteries will make the ultimat capacitors (equivalent capacitance of a 12V 5Ah battery is well ove

4 farads) and are always connected, so if this is a concern and yo can afford it, this is the best way to protect your machine. A UP can still hiccup enough to cause a potential error, especially durin heavy processing

The difference between a UPS and a USPS is that a USPS is like a

always-on UPS, whereas a UPS simply tries to restore power as quickl as it can when line voltage is lost. Some UPS's won't switch fas enough because the trigger voltage ios set for 85VAC and no

95VAC...but they cost a lot more and tend to draw a little mor power, even on standby
Reply to
Electromotive Guru

How does that happen? The purpose of regulators is to keep the voltage constant. If the input voltage drops below the 95 volts or so that the regulator requires to keep the voltages up, the voltage monitors should catch it and reset the computer or do whatever the bios is programmed to do in the event of a power failure.

Likewise there's usually some provision to "crowbar" the output to hold the logic supplies within limits - won't allow them to go too high to protect the motherboard.

As a general rule, too high a voltage can cause damage, but low voltage is only bad for induction motors and some poorly designed audio amplifiers. . . . . as a general rule.

default

I wonder how many power supplies have over voltage protection. I bet a lot of the cheaper supplies are stripped to the bone.

Reply to
CWatters

I've had the 5v regulator burn high (12v or more) rather than burn open dropping the output to 0v, taking every single drive and board with it. Basically I had a metal case to use. A vendor I told this to didn't sound surprised as he'd had this happen two or three times in the year previous!

The smell of Bakelite every time you switch on then becomes a scary thing if you don't wash the case out and put new boards in.

Richard.

--
   Two updates tools for 3D Studio Max
Reply to
Richard Brooks

Keep in mind that DaveW often goes off half-cocked, suggesting things not in evidence in all kinds of crazy scenarios. To DaveW, everything is a problem and all parts must be thrown away, the system rebuilt from scratch, and of course the OS reinstalled else there will be imaginary nasty ongoing registry errors, blahblahblah (nonsense).

If the input voltage to the PSU is too low, it won' t be able to regulate properly and the PSU itself should shut down if properly designed. It will never get to the point of any motherboard monitors resetting the computer nor bios code activating anything... and these kinds of bios interventions are typically from overheating, not voltage deviations.

If the PSU does not respond correctly, all by itself to the AC power problem (correctly also meaning to shut off if appropriate), the PSU should be removed from the system now, not waiting for that problematic event to occur.

Reply to
kony

They're all supposed to, but then they're supposed to be able to output what's on the label, too, and we know that is not quite true.

Reply to
kony