Toshiba VCR restoration help needed - Toterack

Hi all,

I have replaced the belts inside the Toshiba VCR, (it's about 15 yrs old) and got the mechanics working to load and eject the tape. However, it won't play the tape. Makes a noise for four seconds then shuts off. I've been re ading around the www to find out what might need attention and so far haven 't found out too much. I'm thinking it might be one of the rollers sticking but they all seem to spin nicely. Anybody want to take a stab at this? Comments? Advise? thanks

.
Reply to
toterack

't play the tape. Makes a noise for four seconds then shuts off. I've been reading around the www to find out what might need attention and so far hav en't found out too much. I'm thinking it might be one of the rollers sticki ng but they all seem to spin nicely.

Try inserting a tape, wait until it loads, then lift up the vcr, hopefully you still have the access plate off, and gently move the largest cog wheel back and forth. This should free up a jammed mechanism and the movie should play. Let the vcr down gently. If you haven't replaced the belts with ones of the same size, this won't work.

Reply to
handel.barz

"This isn't going to work out. Can we still be friends?"

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

d)

on't play the tape. Makes a noise for four seconds then shuts off. I've bee n reading around the www to find out what might need attention and so far h aven't found out too much. I'm thinking it might be one of the rollers stic king but they all seem to spin nicely.

y you still have the access plate off, and gently move the largest cog whee l back and forth. This should free up a jammed mechanism and the movie shou ld play. Let the vcr down gently. If you haven't replaced the belts with on es of the same size, this won't work.

Hey, thanks. It worked. Plugged in the tv and picture and sound is good. Ho w did you know how to do that? The mechanism was jammed from all my mucking about I guess. Thanks again.

Reply to
erness.wild

I have replaced the belts inside the Toshiba VCR, (it's about 15 yrs old) and got the mechanics working to load and eject the tape. However, it won't play the tape. Makes a noise for four seconds then shuts off. I've been reading around the www to find out what might need attention and so far haven't found out too much. I'm thinking it might be one of the rollers sticking but they all seem to spin nicely. Anybody want to take a stab at this? Comments? Advise? thanks

+++++

Under supply or take-up or both spools, slotted opto device that is dirty or malfunction? With dummy "eviscerated" cassettte in place and pressing play , manually turning supply or takeup spool should keep the deck in play mode

.
Reply to
N_Cook

Have you tried cleaning the mode switch?

--

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Roger Blake (Change "invalid" to "com" for email. Google Groups killfiled.)

"Climate policy has almost nothing to do anymore with environmental protection... the next world climate summit in Cancun is actually an economy summit during which the distribution of the world's resources will be negotiated." -- Ottmar Edenhofer, IPCC

Roger Blake

Don't forget - lots of vcr's from that period had crappy power supply caps; failing motor supply voltages might cause this. Also, do we know the drum was turning? IF not, the mech would start and shut back down.

Sometimes the drum bearings seize and one just needs to free up the upper cylinder and run it a while, though I would not trust it long-term.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

JVCs from that time period also had the bad 3.3 uf surface mount capacitor on the cylinder motor board which caused playback problems. If this unit has one, I'd replace it because it will fail sooner or later. Chuck

Reply to
chuck