Toshiba SD-43HT protection error

This is a "home theater in a box" unit which (with another Toshiba unit, the SD-KT50) was the subject of a successful class-action lawsuit. The unit becomes inoperable with known-good DVDs. Symptoms are: at power-on, the message "Hello... Protection... Goodbye" followed by shutdown.

The only way to remove an inserted CD or DVD (other than disassembly) is to turn the volume control immediately after power-up and press the eject button at the same time.

Toshiba's web site states that it is a known problem caused by a third-party component and is easily fixed by a service technician. Toshiba is willing to repair the unit but a service facility is some distance away. I have informed Toshiba that I am a certified computer repair person, a former amateur radio operator, a retired physics teacher, and am comfortable with board-level repairs. Toshiba states they cannot share which component is involved or suggest a procedure to remedy the problem and it must go to the repair facility.

I have spent a few hours on the 'net looking for an answer to the problem without success. I'd be grateful to anyone with some information about the problem, even if it still requires a trip to the repair service.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Sanderson

Often this sort of problem is caused by shorted output devices in the audio amplifier section, I'm not experienced with this particular model though.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thank you for responding. I was hoping someone might have seen a relevant Toshiba service bulletin. The class action settlement (see

suggests many customers were/are affected.

Reply to
Stan Sanderson