Toshiba SD-43HT follow-up

Re: Unit not functioning, "Hello....Protection....Goodbye" displayed at startup.

Toshiba's webpage instructs users to call them for instructions regarding repair. They state that a third-party component is responsible for the problem. Repair was done for my daughter's unit (free) at an authorized repair center. Toshiba would not divulge the nature of the part in question.

For those with limited access to repair centers, the part replaced was C27, a power-supply capacitor. I have not opened the unit to determine the value because the repair facility has security tape on one of the screws. I had previously seen a posting on a web-based discussion board which identified C27 as the faulty component, although the poster stated that the problem reappeared after a few months.

I am not sure, but feel that there might have been some adjustment to the behavior of the cooling fan. I had not noticed it running at cold start turn-on before; it does run now. Of course, I am now more sensitive to possible differences in operation resulting from the repair.

In the case of my daughter's unit, the problem had appeared on two previous occasions but disappeared (seemingly with vigorous pushing of random remote buttons). On this occasion, it did not go away. She had a borrowed DVD in the unit which was due for return. Another posting provided a means of extraction: power up the unit while at the same time slowly turn the volume control and press the open/close button.

Hope this helps.

S. Sanderson

Reply to
Stan Sanderson