toshiba dvd player mal functioning

I have a Toshiba DVD player, model #SD-K760SU that is approx 1 year old. It is not playing properly in that scenes freeze on the screen, images are distorted, and Disks do not start from the beginning, but from other parts of the disk.

Is this a situation where the lens needs cleaning, or might it be another matter? If the lens does need cleaning, how can I access the lens, OR, are there lens cleaning kits available?

Any suggestions on how to rectify the situation would be appreciated.

Aaron

Reply to
aaronep

For reasons quoted many times on here, DVD players do not generally suffer from dirty lenses like CD players do. Exceptions to this are if the player is located in a country or area that is very dry, or if the player is located in a heavy smoking environment. Playability problems are most often associated with a worn laser, although one year does seem a little on the 'young' side. That said, if the player gets heavy use, it is by no means unheard of for a laser of just one year to be showing signs of wear, and of course, none of this precludes the possibility of the laser being defective. Other causes of playability problems include mechanical defects on the deck, iffy spindle motors and 'marginal' caps on the power supply.

Do your freezes tend to occur late in the disc ? If so, that is usually a good indicator of laser trouble, as it is much more difficult for it to read layer two through layer one. A further test that you can run is to try playing some full-length commercially pressed CDs. If these play without problem, this pretty much verifies the mechanics, and is another pointer for laser trouble.

By all means try cleaning the lens, but do not use a lens cleaner disc, as this is unlikely to help, and can on some machines, cause physical damage to the laser assembly. Access is usually available once the optical block has been slid down its tracks towards the back of the deck, which brings it out from under the disc clamp. The lens should be cleaned carefully with a cotton bud (Q-Tip) moistened (not wet) with electronics grade isopropyl alcohol. The lens suspension is fairly delicate, so don't be 'brutal' with it, but by the same token, it is not so delicate that it is easily damaged. Just use common sense. When the alcohol has evaporated, polish the lens with a new clean and dry cotton bud.

The only symptom that you describe, which is a little 'odd' is that discs seem to start from odd places rather than the beginning, although that might just be being caused by the laser having trouble getting a good error-free data stream off the disc.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

you could check the power supply caps for bulging- comon problem can cause some odd things.

you may need to relube the sled mech. failing that, it's possibly the laser pickup going bad - ditch it.

-b

As usual, Geoff has more patience than I have. Bottom line: buy a new player. A Pioneer would probably last longer.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

You're probably right Mark but hey, we gotta try, don't we ? d;~}

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

messagenews:Mk7Uj.15987$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com...

note to all of the GOOD people who replied to my original post. thank you for taking time to write. you have given me much valuable information which I will use. best, Aaron

Reply to
aaronep