Tosh. CX35D70 (Incl. service menu warning for people)

Can someone say this model has the same service menus as most Toshibas ? Or is there some difference ?

I got into it, needed just to turn up the red gain a bit, and got a problem. It seems to have changed the height and width registers. Mind you I was not anywhere near these controls in the service menu so I must have inadvertently invoked some type of reset to default values.

Basically it looks like the pin output is driven to cutoff, and the parabloa is out of range totally. Height is also stretched now. Now, come on, values for setting the geometry are on the fly, as are most others simply because you need to see what you are doing. This 35" set is probably in 90 degree 27" mode, unaware of the pin ckt. and that mode might have had a pot for height.

At least that seems the most likely to me. The problem is, when I got into it I didn't like the looks of it, I got the idea I was in the wrong place. Other models the number keys might change to different menus, but on the Toshiba remote they changed values, something I did not want to do. The universal basically changed the channels when the number keys were used.

In this service mode, it gives you numbers only. White on screen at the upper left. Includes a binary and a hex value. I wanted to get into the grey scale and pushed the numerical keys on the remote, this changed values but not the picture. I am not sure what exactly happened, I am pretty sure I unplugged it so it would not save, but that did not work for whatever reason.

I think it defaulted back to some core values for a stripped down set. The other question is, should it have done that ? Is it possible I have a hardware problem that caused this, or did I cause this bacause the navigation is different ?

Also, I think (I didn't start the work on the set) that it came up with the volume at max, the volume bar at max, and the remote turned the bar down but not the sound level. After up was pushed, it righted itself. Actually the set could go like this, as long as it is not frequently unplugged, but does this share a root cause with the problem I am having now ?

About now I wish I would've just done it appalacian style, throw in an extra resistor somewhere in the base or emitter path of that damn video ouput. Sure, with a shitload of resistors I can correct the geometry, at least I am pretty sure, but that's not fixing it.

Realistically, these values probably had something to do with telling the system what kind of harware was in the unit. Although Toshiba service menus are not the friendliest in the world (I could say that again), I have been in them before. I really expected the numerical keys to change mode, not the data.

I read, I know," write down values before changing anything", but I had no idea that my keystrokes would change the data.

Pros who know what your doing, a leg up here would be much appreciated. Even the default values for that model. And they should exist, these are not parameters, way I see it they are option codes. Get a PO box big enough for a case of beer if you help me out.

Newbies, wannabes, laymen, I hope you read this and stay the hell out of there. I am a 30 year veteran in this business and look what happened to me.Now the characters are off the screen because it is overstretched, so if someone does come up with the values for that model, I will have to do a temporay mod to the vertical circuit to correct it. I am capable of doing this. But think what the bill would be for my time.

I think the rule might be better as "Write down everything you see on the screen before touching another button on the remote or the TV".

Something like that.

Thanks.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

Are you sure it was something you did in the service menu or is it really that Toshiba is a piece of shit?

Reply to
Malissa Baldwin

The old rule was "Mark the position of all presets with a pencil before adjusting". Nothing changes.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 21:16:12 -0800, ZZactly Has Frothed:

Having done serviceman menus in RCA and Panasonic recently it was my experience that changes in data were discarded unless confirmed by a keystroke. Can't help you otherwise and do post an update if you come to some logical conclusion as I have a friend with a similar set and may need your experience one day in the form of an archived post from this group.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Meat Plow: ............Absolutely NOT SO....... Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

Reply to
Sofie

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:47:27 -0800, Sofie Has Frothed:

What is Absolutely not so?

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow