took out vcr from tv and it stays on for a few seconds now

I have a Magnavox tv combo and it was stuck in blue screen mode with a stuck tape. Took the tape out and still blue screen. I have no remote. So I tore out the whole vcr unit and unplugged the connectors. No tv period. So I took some on the vcr units small circuit boards and reattached them and still nothing. Then I took out a mull-ti switch from the vcr ( two round plate for contact) and reattached it. dialing some settings let me have the tv back working very good but only for a few seconds? what needs to be done to fake the tv into thinking that the vcr unit is still there? Or simply get the tv to stay on?

Reply to
NN

The VCR must be present and functional in order for the tv to work in those. The tv system control also runs the vcr system. The tv set system control needs to get the all ok from the vcr controller or it will not stay turned on. Usually the vcr mechanism gets out of line, the tape in sensors go bad, or the mode switch goes bad.

There is no simple way to fake the tv into staying on.

David

Reply to
dkuhajda

Thanks for saving me from hoping for something that will end up in grief. As you said, the units are integrated as there were so many connectors left free. I should have taken a step by step approach as opposed to taking out whole parts.

Reply to
NN

Those units are pretty much junk, you might have luck fixing the VCR, I've fixed several of them, otherwise take the whole thing to the recycler and buy separates next time.

Reply to
James Sweet

I agree they are just but it was a freebee that lasted a half year. I assume you are referring to tv combos as a whole, not just magnivox brand. I only though salvaging the tv would be nice because of the rca in-puts but any used vcr can be a rca input for other older tv,s.

Reply to
NN

I'm referring to combo units as a whole, there's only a few companies that make them, then everyone else slaps their name on them. You could still try to fix the VCR, it's what I'd do if it were mine.

Reply to
James Sweet

One man's junk is another man's job security...

Reply to
Bill S.

Yes the combo tv seem to look the same with different names and colors, no wonder it is hard to find the universal remote codes that works with them.

Reply to
NN

Shouldn't be too hard, just try Funai, Symphonic and other cheap brands, chances are you'll find the one.

Reply to
James Sweet

Name brands seem to stamp their names on junk these days. I also have another combo that is the same as this magnovox but it is white plastic with a brand name "Phillips" but phillips codes will not work nor listed under combos.

Reply to
NN