TFT LCD - a step backward ?

James Sweet wrote in news:tcoOh.5618$Qi2.2424@trndny07:

At typical TV set accelerating voltages,they aren't going to penetrate the faceplate,either.

He's been sitting too close to the TV set again.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The lifespan of the tubes in CRT monitors has gotten so short, too. A few years ago, I used to work at a place where we still ran Windows NT. NT has no concept of power saving modes so the monitors generally were just run 24/7. They'd last about two or three years before the contrast got too bad to use them anymore. Some factory in China has figured out how to make a filament that will cook off all its high-energy electrons during the warranty period. ;)

Reply to
David Brodbeck

Heh heh...each monitor is your own little particle accelerator. ;) The ones with the little hole burned in the middle of the screen drive home the point the best, I think.

Reply to
David Brodbeck

Reading your reply and those from several others here really give me a glimpse of hope. Perhaps I'm just to dim, all the LCD that die here have the same problem - Backlights gone kaput !

When I try to replace the backlights, I found that they are glued tightly with the whatever (tftlcd and lightguards) and how can I replace anything if they are glued up like that.

That said, I'm still interesting in knowing how to actually replacing the backlights. If there's any sites that have these kinds of intructions, I'd very much like to know about it.

Thanks to you and to all !

Happy Easter !

Reply to
penang

an easy fix IME

Colorimetry issues are severe with lcds. Move your head to the side a bit and the colour goes way off on mine - theyre old - the advantage is theyre unfixable, so no need to waste any time.

CRTs win on almost all points technically, except for resolution, the slimness and light weight of tfts is about the only advantage.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

What I think he's saying is that the odds are pretty good it's NOT the backlight itself that's gone out -- more likely the Inverter.

The inverter is usually a small circuit board, a little smaller than a SIMM, that is usually (in my experience) at the bottom of the LCD. They usually connect with a couple of "push-on connectors", and are pretty easy to replace.

If you can't find a part number on the inverter board itself, do a google search on the montior make and model and the word "inverter". I've found a couple on Ebay for pretty cheap..

mhaase-at-springmind.com

Also low power consumption, low heat generation, and immunity to magnetic fields. You can put two LCDs next to each other without them making each others' pictures wobble and squirm. ;)

Reply to
David Brodbeck

And some of the new ones really have excellent pictures, viewing angle has improved tremendously too. I still say a *good* CRT wins for me, but I'm a demanding user and often use different resolutions, something a flat panel is not good at, but for the average user a good LCD with DVI input will be better hands down. Geometry and convergence are dead on, zero flicker, perfectly flat, square, light, thin, it's no mystery why they're so popular.

Reply to
James Sweet

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

But you don't have colorimetry/convergence/geometry FAILURES as you do with CRTs.There are no color adjustments on the LCD display itself.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik