LCD/Plasma/TFT

Can you use an LCD tv or monitor in an unheated garage where the temperature can sometimes go to sub zero? What about Plasma or TFT displays?

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Hi!

Sure, but there will be some problems:

The first problem will have to do with the display. Any LCD type display will exhibit slow response time. The backlighting, if it is a fluorescent lamp type, may have trouble reaching full brightness for several minutes.

Plasma panels might have issues with thermal shock, because they grow fairly warm in operation.

The other problems have to do with the electronics inside the unit. Condensation could be a very real problem, and it might cause something to go "bang" one day. The wide range of temperatures inside a garage may lead to yet more stress on the electronics, resulting in a premature failure.

So while you can do it, and it will work for a while (possibly even a LONG while), I would not suggest buying an expensive or high end display for this application.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

An LCD panel would do wierd things when frozen. Same with TFT. Don't know about plasma but my guess is the same with that.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I currently have a desktop pc with a CRT monitor out there and it gives me no problems, but eventually the CRT may give out. CRT's are getting scarce. Guess I should stock up.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

I think you're being overly pessimistic about plasma. It takes a while to warm up.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Scarce? people are literally giving them away, or at low cost in second hand stores. It wont be that way forever, but if you want one now, you can fill your garage or basement for little money. If your looking for one new, that may be more of an issue. Once the cheap Chinese tube factory's shut down, that will be the last of the CRT's for the masses.

bob

Reply to
bob urz

Next time I have a plasma display in I'll drop it in the freezer and see what happens.

Reply to
Meat Plow

How many do you want? I just offered 25 on the local freecycle group a few days ago. That would leave me with over 100. :(

Michael A. Terrell

Not exactly a valid test. There are a lot of variables, but if you're heating the garage with a properly vented heater there won't be a lot of condensation. What's more, the garage (and plasma TV) will warm up rather slowly.

Now if you leave a plasma set outside in subzero temperatures, then bring it into a warm, humid house and turn it on, I would expect problems. This would be no different than what you would expect with ANY line operated electronic equipment.

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill47

I'll be sure to shrink wrap the plasma display and include some desiccant before I drop it in the freezer.

Reply to
Meat Plow

So if your house loses heat while your are on winter vacation all your lcd's, plasma and tft displays will shit the bed?

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Depends on how you define shit the bed.

Reply to