Toshiba 20DL74 LCD TV - No Pic

I have a Toshiba 20DL74 LCD TV & when i power on the unit no picture comes up only audio, unit was never dropped or nothing a like - can someone let me know what could be wrong with it? Thanks in advance

Reply to
Animal

It is impossible to be a fortune teller with electronic equipment. The fault can be anything from a failed driver board, to the power supply. The set would have to be properly troubleshooted by a trained technician using the proper tools and service information.

--

JANA _____

Reply to
JANA

There is an internal failure that is causing no picture.

The ONLY troubleshooting a non-trained person can do with an LCD device that has no apparant picture at all is to shine a bright flashlight on it to see if a picture is actually there but not visible due to a backlight or backlight inverter failure.

Even if it can be determined that the backlight has malfunctioned, a non-trained person will not have the knowledge or equipment to actually troubleshoot the real electronic failure.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Reply to
Mike Berger

Ok - kool lady & gents - Sorry Jana - I didn't mention it before - I've been a service tech w/ Audio systems, DVDs & TVs down to component level before, i gave it up (8 years ago) and started repairing pc's - I've never been in a LCD tv before and it looks very different from a reg tv - BUT - the parts inside are mostly plugin boards so to find the defauted board shouldn't be that hard providing someone in this group knows which board to replace or part without actually troubleshooting the unit (by repetitive problems). When I was repairing units in the past & cust tells me the problem with the unit in question i would know off the back what was wrong with it without using any troubleshooting equipment - using equipments is only to confirm your outcome unless you have to do adjustments that require you to use the equipment.

dkuhajda thanks for the tip but you don't have to be a qualified electronic tech to install this part go ahead copy and paste following link

- but the internet now a days its awesome - notice the following "it does not require any technical skills" now im narrowing it down to the defective part and I haven't used any equipment - just the internet, unless you consider the internet as piece of equipment - actually it is...

Mike - right on - are you a tech? I do second that opinion that you mentioned - a true tech - without the mumbo jumbo "you have to be a certified tech to---" would tell you well the inverter backlight can be defective or what is the voltage on pin - etc....

Okay yes - I've noticed that when all my lights at home are off I do see a very faint picture & the channel display upper right side of LCD. So if I do see a faint picture can this be the backlight inverter? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Animal

If you wanted to actually repair the defective inverter, which is usually possible and typically has less than $5.00 in total parts, then you want to be a technician. I usually repair 95% of the failed inverters for less than $1.00 worth of parts. In order for it to be cost effective to actually repair the inverter the replacement inverter has to cost more than $30.00 and the needed repair parts to fix it need to be on hand the first time the unit is opened up.

Since you see the faint picture, then you have already narrowed down the problem to the lamp, the inverter, or the circuit to turn on the inverter.

You can guess that it is the lamp or the inverter and order and replace both and chances are very high that this will fix the problem. I am not sure you can buy the inverter as a complete part from Toshiba and at what cost, you can do the web searches to find out.

Reply to
dkuhajda