Synchronous motor rattle

Basic plastic ones ,as in day/week mains switch timer Anyone know the secret, other than going "electronic" ? I can see its not the anti-counter-rotation kicker moving about. Changing orientation makes no difference to the noise level or pattern.

N_Cook

no

Add some medium-weight oil and see if that helps, or earplugs, if that is what you call them on the east side of the big ppond.

Reply to
hrhofmann

no

on

Add some medium-weight oil and see if that helps, or earplugs, if that is what you call them on the east side of the big ppond.

****8

There was oil in there and I added some more, noise pattern has changed , and reduced level of noise, so much better than it was. Seems to be shaded pole motor type , with small magnetised disk on a spindle but the 2 poles from the coil are not coplanar and the functioning seems to require axial movement of the disk, something to do with this non-planarity ? so not possible to take up axial wear, assuming basically a wear problem. Probably circumferential wear in the end bearing surfaces allowing a complex oscillatory movement to happen.

N_Cook

s ,as in day/week mains switch timer

ot

es

dle

ty

m.

lex

I have several similar timers and they all make some basic noise, even when brand new. I put them on a soft surface and that helps quiet the noise transmission down.

Reply to
hrhofmann

,as in day/week mains switch timer

not

makes

spindle

non-planarity

problem.

complex

on

I have several similar timers and they all make some basic noise, even when brand new. I put them on a soft surface and that helps quiet the noise transmission down.

*****

I did not think , when it was open - add some foam/light rubber, between the motor and supports. Powering the motor outside the housing, holding in my fingers, it made no observable noise but you could feel vibration, but lay it on a surface of some sort and the noise was obvious. I doubt the vibration conducted through the drive pinion would be much.

N_Cook