How to turn on AT power supply?

I know I can turn on an ATX power supply by connecting the green wire to the black wire next to it. This doesn't work for the older AT power supplies. What is the trick for them?

TIA

Reply to
root

I think they just need a minimum load ... a hard drive ought to do the job.

Reply to
Bryce

The way I understand it (and I could be wrong), is that an AT supply works differently than the ATX version. It outputs a 5v "power good" signal to turn on the motherboard only after the supply's self check has verified that all it's DC outputs are within spec.

I suspect that if an AT supply sees the correct load, it should work. Unless you have a load on all the outputs, you would either have to use a PC as a load, or construct an external load out of resistors.

See:

and...

Sofa Slug

Thanks for responding. I just didn't pay close enough attention: the AT and ATX supplies use the same pins to turn on, the wire colors are not the same across brands. For the record, if you hold P1 with the catch on the top and the pins facing you, you connect pins

3,4 on the top row counting from the left.

These power supplies are useful for other sources on the bench.

Reply to
root

Put a drive on it. Floppy will do.

Reply to
Meat Plow

There's no turn on pin on an AT power supply. There's just an AC power switch. It may shut down if there's no load on it. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe