Stepper or synchronous motor as generator

I've been looking into the feasibility of using various types of motors = as=20 wind-powered generators, so I thought I'd see what some motors I have = will=20 do. I connected the motors with diodes from each pole to 10uF 400V=20 capacitors with a common connection, and placed the load on the (+) and = (-)=20 legs.

Here are the results:

Superior Slo-Syn HSL063T1Y, 120 VAC, 0.4A, 50/60 Hz, 60/72 RPM

21K 269V 3.45W 300 RPM 11K 250V 5.68W 300 RPM 1K 92V 8.4W 300 RPM

Superior Slo-Syn SS50G20, 120 VAC, 0.3A, 50/60 Hz, 3.6 RPM (*20 gearhead = =3D=20

72 RPM)

21K 141V 0.95W 300 RPM

11K 112V 1.14W 300 RPM 1K 23V 0.53W 300 RPM

Shinano STH-56D218, 2.1V, 1.65A, 1.8 deg/step, 1.8 ohm/phase

21K 4.24V 0.001W 300 RPM 1K 3.63V 0.013W 300 RPM 1K 14.4V 0.207W 1300 RPM 180 15.5V 1.33W 1300 RPM

I was surprised at the low power output, especially the second = synchronous=20 motor, which is similar in size and specs to the first. I used a=20 battery-powered drill for the drive and speeds are approximate, but=20 generally the values are the maximum, as the output did not go up after = a=20 certain lower speed was reached. The last motor actually has eight = leads,=20 but one set is 1.8 ohms and the other set is 18 ohms, and I think they = may=20 have been used as a speed monitor. It came out of some unknown = equipment.

The first motor, which seemed most reasonable, was an almost new unit, = but I=20 expected closer to its input rating of 48 watts. The second unit came = out of=20 some old equipment and had a gearhead, probably 20:1, which I removed.

Do stepper motors go bad? Is there something about the circuit I used = that=20 limits the power obtainable? I like the fact that the power of the 72 = RPM=20 synchronous motors peak at 200-300 RPM which is reasonable for a=20 direct-drive windmill. 1300 RPM, not so much.

I also have some 1/4 HP DC brush motors I thought I might use, but I = think=20 they are rated at about 8000 RPM at 12 VDC and I will definitely need a=20 speed multiplier with belts or gears, which will reduce efficiency.

There are also lots of DC motors on eBay such as 1-2 HP treadmill motors =

which are supposed to be good for wind power. I used to have one but I = may=20 have given it away. I'm also going to look into using a three phase=20 induction motor as a generator, but it needs to be driven with a three = phase=20 source at just under the speed that is supplied on the shaft, and then = using=20 what would be the dynamic brake as the generator load.

Thanks,

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

You might want to check on the Fischer & Paykel stepper motors they use in their washing machines ? They are easy to work on (reconfigure the coils to change output etc)

Rheilly P

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

the=20

Those look like nice motors, but they seem to be a bit rare in the US, = and=20 I'm not sure just how much power they can produce. From the pictures I=20 found, it looks like they have magnets on the inside edge of a large = flat=20 rotor shaped like a frisbee, and the stator is an array of about 42 = coils.

I found the following which gives a pretty good analysis of a small = stepper=20 motor used as a generator for up to 0.7 watts at 1600 RPM, and the=20 efficiency was calculated to be about 35-40%. So my somewhat larger = stepper=20 motor generating 1.33 watts at 1300 RPM is not bad.

I took apart a shaded pole blower motor and it has six poles which seem=20 rather easy to rewind if necessary, and I might try using it as a = generator.=20 But I think the shaded poles may work against efficiency. I think they = are=20 just a small section of lamination with a shorted turn to get phase = shift,=20 and I might be able to cut the shorting turn. Then I would need to drive = the=20 motor with a frequency lower than the rotational speed to make a = generator.

I also thought that I might be able to drill holes in the rotor and = insert=20 some magnets to make a generator. But the magnetic path is probably = wrong.=20 So maybe I can just replace the rotor with a non-magnetic cylinder on = which=20 I mount some magnets. I have the blower cage mounted on the motor = vertically=20 and thought it might work as a VAWT, but so far it has not turned in = light=20 wind. I may try adding some sections of thin PVC drain pipe on the = periphery=20 to catch more wind. It's mostly for a demo. I've seen all sorts of = designs=20 on youtube but I think most of them do not put out much power.

From my limited experience it seems like it takes a fair amount of = torque at=20 a pretty high RPM to generate even 10 watts. I've heard that a bicyclist =

produces something like 100-200 watts which is about 1/4 HP, and it = seems=20 like it would take a strong wind and a rather large set of fins to = produce a=20 similar amount, so the supposed 5000 watt VAWTs about the size of a = washing=20 machine tub seem unrealistic.

Thanks for the reply.

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

Forgot the link:

.jpg

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

Actually, this one:

r-motor/=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

These guys have done it all. Their site's a goldmine of hippy-wind technology.

Cheers,
James Arthur
Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I expect that steppers would be very inefficient generators; they are designed to have a lot of copper loss, and probably have a lot of eddy current loss at decent speeds. The huge difference between input rating and available output suggests a lot of loss.

A stepper generator will be very inductive, so you'd probably get more power out of a stepper with a conjugate load match, namely add a series or parallel resonating capacitor to the circuit and optimize the resistive load. But that only works at one speed.

The windings are two or three or even 5 phase, so you'd have to deal with that too.

To measure efficiency, you'd have to measure torque as well as speed and do the math.

A PMDC motor would probably be a lot better as a small generator.

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Fixed relationship:

Power = Torque * Angular Velocity (SI units)

IE. Watts = Newton.meters * 2 * PI * Revs per second.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

at

e a

ng

What do you get when you take the energy in that size of moving air, the size that can move by that structure?

1/2 m v^2 ??

have mass of air, from volume subtended by the turbine blades, and the velocity, windspeed.

This is not a 'resonant' structure, so it is not possible to get more energy than appears at the surface of the blades, right?

Hmmm...resonant structure? Wonder if there is some way to make a 'wind cave' to tap off using resonance? no moving blades just pressure waves on its internal surfaces. At least should get more power with smaller structure, right?

Reply to
Robert Macy

IIRC most windmills use induction motors which feed the mains directly. All you need is a relay to connect the windmill to the mains. You can use single phase as well.

The difficult part of a windmill is controlling the speed. You'll need at least a brake. Being able to adjust the vanes to control RPM would be a big plus.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

But in practice one must add the efficiency factor, which from what I've =

found can be as low as 35%, and of course even lower if a gearbox or = belts=20 and pulleys are used to get the RPMs required. And I think the second = motor=20 I tried may be defective. I remember taking apart a Slo-syn motor and = there=20 were diodes connected to the windings. I checked the resistance on the=20 inefficient motor and it seemed reasonable (about 200 ohms). But = defective=20 diodes may only be detected at higher currents than an ohmmeter.

I'll check some of the other links and maybe learn a bit more.

There is an interesting concept called the "wind tamer", which = supposedly=20 surpasses the "Betz Limit":

But of course there is another side to this technology:

I have a speaker coming to our meeting of

= and=20 he has been installing wind and solar energy systems for quite while in=20 Maryland, which is generally not known as an area with high wind = resources=20 or even very much insolation. But I want to do some of my own research = and=20 come to my own tentative conclusions before he speaks in two weeks.

I also purchased a pack of 44 slightly damaged raw solar cells for about = $40=20 from

through eBay, and it seems like =

they work quite well and put out about 1 to 1.5 watts each, but there = are=20 other factors that affect the optimistic $1/watt estimate. That may be a =

topic for another post.

Thanks,

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

I have a speaker coming to our meeting of

(sheesh - I need another cuppa coffee)

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

  • A Slo-syn is NOT a "motor", it is a *transformer* where the MMF can move the rotor.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Slo-syn is a trade mark of Superior Electric for small and slow synchronous and stepper motors.

They are not synchros, which are rotatable tansformers used for transmission of angle entities.

--

Tauno Voipio
Reply to

Stepper motors are QUITE inefficient. Just crank one fast by hand, see how much effort it takes with NO load! A brush-type permanent magnet motor will be much better. Possibly a permanent magnet brushless motor can do better, as there's no brush drag.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson