splice advice PDA digitizer cable

Looking for advice on how to join two lengths of electronic ribbon or tape cable of the same size, width, etc. This is the kind of unshielded cable with copper stripes on one side in an orange-brown plastic.

Having had a some DIY experience repairing desktop PCs and cobbling together a laptop from 2 broken thinkpads, I'm going attempt to replace the digitizer on a PDA that was not designed for such repairs, and for which no purpose-made replacement digitizer exists. I've had the unit apart and back together several times -- works ok except the digitizer.

I've located a digitizer that is similar in size and has what appears to be the same kind of copper-striped mini ribbon tape cable with 4 stripes or leads. but this ribbon is too short to reach the motherboard on my device. I'd need to graft it to a length of the ribbon from the old digitizer, if there is no other method of extension.

Any advice on this cable-joining? end-to-end? copper stripes face-to=face? what kind of splicing tape?

btw, What are these unshielded copper-striped ribbon connectors called? What do you call the end of this cable, which plugs into a connector on the motherboard?

thanks, folks. if it works, you'd be helping me and a lot of people who have these PDAs a bunch of money, and help us foil the manufacturer's apparent intention of forcing us to buy new ones. GRRRRRR.

Reply to
aeacsharp

typically, these don't have many wires. If it's copper, it's solderable. I'd use tiny wire and be done with it. mike

with links.  Delete this sig when replying.
.
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
mike