LCD Shutter Replacing Color Wheel in Projection Systems?

Hi:

Has any one seen commercial implementations of using LCD shutter to replace the mechanical color-wheel in projection engines based on sequential color?

Are any manufacturers going this route? I've read some papers about their use but haven't seen any offerings.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Derek

Reply to
dcau88

One fundamental problem is that you lose 2/3rds (approx) of the light that way due to the other color pixels not be transmitting.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

What units do that?

NSM

I've never heard of it being done, LCDs are notoriously slow, and they block a fair portion of the light even when active. Color wheels are effective and established technology, the next step up from that is 3 panels.

Reply to
James Sweet

There are a new breed of LCDs based on ferroelectric. They are much faster and may do the trick.

Reply to
dcau88

Hi Sam:

Could you elaborate on your comment about the 2/3rds loss?

What about a device like this?

Which alters polarization and is not an absorbtive shutter?

Derek

Reply to
dcau88