Speakers that cut out but will come back...

Hello all...

I have a Chevrolet S-10 pickup with a four speaker audio system. The speakers are factory installed Delco units, but the head unit is a Pioneer cassette player. This truck and the speakers aren't terribly old...it's a

2003 model year truck.

What happens is very strange--and happens regularly, especially when the weather is cold, some of the speakers appear to become open circuits. They will not produce audio and tests with an ohmmeter show them to have infinite resistance. But...if I turn the radio way up loud, the speakers will suddenly start to work. Checking after doing so reveals that the resistance of the speakers has dropped to about 4 ohms or so.

I know the head unit is working properly and all the wiring connections to the speakers are good. But what would cause speakers to open up like this and then start working again when the amplifier is turned up loud? I plan to replace the speakers with new ones...

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Bad connection where the wire connects to the cone. Sometimes the flexible wire itself fractures. More often the connection between the voice coil and the flexible wire at the cone is bad. Sometimes, you can heat the connection to burn off the insulation and make the connection work again.

--
Return address is VALID!
Reply to

How have you determined this?

And *HOW* have you determined this also?

Let us know what happens...

My money is on connectors either at the head unit, the speakers, or inline somewhere.

Reply to
PeterD

Hi!

Simple...two things. One of the speakers did this for a while with the factory head unit in place. The cutting in and out got worse, and then the speaker died completely. This one was replaced under warranty and hasn't given any subsequent trouble.

Secondly, I hooked up a known good pair of speakers recently, drove around for a few days with them and they did not miss a beat. I would use them, but they are not the right fit.

I did not run my own wiring--the factory wiring has been used with an adapter to let it connect to the head unit. The speaker wiring has not been altered (other than my running short alligator clip jumpers to the known good speakers mentioned above) and is completely original.

I do have a pretty good track record when it comes to installing this stuff. The majority of the vehicles I've installed audio systems into came from the factory with no radio, or a radio that only had one speaker, which meant I had to run the wires for everything else. And those systems have worked flawlessly. :-)

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh