connecting a 4" speaker to headphone out of a tablet pc directly-will it harm?

I have a chinese made android tablet pc which has useless onboard speakers. I connected headphones to the hp out jack of the pc and the sound was pretty good.

Now I wanted a larger sound so I connected a four inch speaker unit from my stereo directly without an amp to the head ph. Out jack and the sound was pretty loud and nice and hearable.

I didn't do it for long not sure if it will not harm the the tablet. My ques. Is can I do it for long periolds?

Thanks.

Reply to
suraj joneja

If you haven't already blown it up, it should be fine. :-)

But just one speaker? Don't you have a stereo jack?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Am Sat, 23 Oct 2010 11:04:46 -0700 (PDT) schrieb suraj joneja:

Usually (if the tablet PC is designed well) you can't harm the tablet, even if you short circuit the audio output. The audio output has an output impedance itself which prevents too high currents. If you want to be perfectly sure add a 10 Ohm resistor in line to the speaker, but then it might get rather silent.

Reply to
Frank =?iso-8859-1?Q?Gl=F6ssne