Soundcraft Compact 4, small mixer , 2005

More a case of lack of use, certainly not due to wear , and as I can see the grease oozing out of the spindle area, presumably compacted grease spots on the tracks.

2 main rotary stereo pots are bad I don't mind attending to individually but half the other such 30 or so rotary pots are "scratchy". I think I'll use my modified electric toothbrush head and methylated spirits squirted in the convenient access hole in these Alpha pots, agitating via the toothbrush reciprocating motion , while plenty of meths inside, in the first instance. Any other ideas? desoldering a load of stereo rotary pots with plated through holes and very close SMD active devices is asking for colateral damage. How to get the grease out or at least redistributed without removing the pots. BTW intrusion of graphic designer cobblers?, its impossible for an owner to remove the DC power connector without pliers or by pulling the lead at the wrong angle, ie straining the usual failure position, because recessed into the side cheeks.
Reply to
N_Cook

The labor costs more than the thing is worth?

Reply to
dave

I do wonder how long the pot makers have known about the problem with the lubricant migrating and the very flimsy wiper metal used in the SMD era sub16mm pots era. The grase has to only bind a bit and solidify a bit and the wipers will lift off the track. Ive never seen a worn track on one of these pots.

Reply to
N_Cook

toothbrush wheeze on the pots has made this usable again, for how long? the amount of grease around the spindle must be limited at the outset

Reply to
N_Cook