Sony VO-9850 U-Matic SP tape creasing

Greetings. I have a Sony VO-9850P U-Matic SP vtr that is creasing SP tapes. I took off the top cover and observed during recording that the tape was being creased by the pinch roller. I am not a technician and fell a little uncomfortable with adjusting the machine internals, though if anyone could give me some guidance, I would attempt a diy fix. Many thanks, moosh101.

--
moosh101
Reply to

moosh101: You are correct about being "a little uncomfortable with adjusting the machine internals".... DO NOT adjust anything. Usually the tape creasing symptom you reported is most likely a worn pinch roller and a little less likely worn capstan bearings, and quite unlikely adjustments, incorrect back-tension, worn drum, bent levers and guides, etc... unless, of course, someone has monkeyed with the adjustments or bent levers and guides you should not suspect adjustments at all. electricitym

- - - - -

snipped: moosh101 wrote:

Reply to
electricitym

moosh101: You are correct about being "a little uncomfortable with adjusting the machine internals".... DO NOT adjust anything. Usually the tape creasing symptom you reported is most likely a worn pinch roller and a little less likely worn capstan bearings, and quite unlikely adjustments, incorrect back-tension, worn drum, bent levers and guides, etc... unless, of course, someone has monkeyed with the adjustments or bent levers and guides you should not suspect adjustments at all. electricitym

- - - - -

snipped:

Reply to
sofie

Greetings. I have a Sony VO-9850P U-Matic SP vtr that is creasing SP tapes. I took off the top cover and observed during recording that the tape was being creased by the pinch roller. I am not a technician and fell a little uncomfortable with adjusting the machine internals, though if anyone could give me some guidance, I would attempt a diy fix. Many thanks, moosh101.

--
moosh101
Reply to
moosh101

Hi...

Brings back memories... still have a vp-2000 sitting in the basement (no idea why :)

I'd suggest that you not "adjust" anything. Instead, I'd get a whole box of q-tips and a bottle of isopropyl alcohol.

I'd take the cover off, then moisten (moisten, not wet) one of the q-tips and start *gently* cleaning the entire tape path. That includes the guides, the heads, the capstan, the idler, etc.

Every time you see a bit of discoloration on a q-tip, switch it for a new dampened one and keep going.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

That's good advice but don't clean the heads with q-tips. Even an experienced person can break a head that way. For the heads use a chamois swab, moistened with alcohol, and be sure the sharp edge of the swab doesn't grab and break the heads. use gentle pressure while rotating the drum by hand.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver