Sony KV-24FV12 picture problem (dropped?)

Hello,

Someone gave me a Sony KV 24FV12 for free because it was "broken" -- I seem to recall that it tipped over onto its face (not sure if it actually fell or not). It seems to power up ok, but the picture has large color bands arcing from the top left to bottom right of the screen.

I checked all the yoke connections, and there weren't any loose magnets -- This sounds like it might mean the grille inside the CRT is misaligned, based on some research I've been doing.

Any thoughts? I assume it isn't possible to repair such a problem. If so, I guess I'll just junk it for parts.

I can post a picture of the picture problem if that would provide any further clues.

Thanks!

Reply to
CobaltChloride

Here's a picture of the problem:

CobaltChloride

Hi...

Doesn't look at all promising, but were it mine I'd sure degauss it before turning it into parts...

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Reply to
Art

The shadow mask inside the CRT is damaged, & it's not repairable. If you could get a loan of a Technicians degaussing coil, you may make it somewhat better. After that, if it wasn't too bad, you could use tiny magnets to minimize it to use the unit as a second set for the kids to play video games on. Sky.

Reply to
Skype_man

The CRT is toast. The shadow mask has broken loose and your seeing the beam scattering!

Bummer.....happens more often than you think!

-- ========================== Jeff Stielau Shoreline Electronics Repair

344 East Main Street Clinton,CT 06413 860-399-1861 860-664-3535 (fax) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net ========================
Reply to
Shoreline Electronics

CobaltChloride ha escrito:

is it just me or has this sort of situation come up several times on this NG in the last few months? always seems to be sonys too. maybe that same set just keeps being dumped and another one of us finds it and posts here in hope of a cure! ;-)

-B.

one here for example

It happens all the time. Since Sonys are notoriously heavy compared to other sets, it is not surprising that people drop them. We see one or two sets a month like this, more when the semesters change and students are moving. Lots of broken F jacks at tuners, too.

We try to catch them before the client gives us a depesit for an estimate. Not much that can be done with them, sony or other if the shadow mask or aperture grille is damaged or dislodged.

Leonard

Leonard Caillouet