Sony SLV-D300P Error reading DVDs

Hello,

Any ideas on why this unit displays a error when trying to read a DVD?

It seems the DVD starts to spin and then slows down and then ERROR on the display.

I did clean the laser lens. That did not help.

Is it a bad laser? Can this unit be calibrated through the menus like on some of the other Sony DVD Players?

TIA Jimmy

Reply to
fyi

Probably needs a new spindle motor.

Reply to
Jonathan

Must be nice to be psychic. While the spindle motor is possible, this series of machines have bad pickups all the time. Replacement is simply too expensive - you can often buy a whole new machine for less. Next time buy separates. I recommend Pioneer for a DVD player, their pickups seem to last much longer on the average.

Mark Z

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

series

last

Reply to
ricky

Thanks for the info.

I'm trying to fix it for a friend.

I was able to find a source for the pickup in the UK.

do a search for SOH-DSSB

It's about $30 Part and shipping.

Thanks again.

Jimmy

Reply to
fyi

I have seen many Sonys less than 2 years old having a bad spindle motor .

Reply to
Ken G.

Hello,

I tried a new laser pickup and it did not fix it. Seems to be the same problem.

The spindle motor is spinning the disc, but it will not read the DVD or CD.

I would pay the high price for a new motor, if that is even the problem. Anybody know of a place that sells this motor cheaper that Sony?

The unit is trying to read the disc and I can hear the laser trying to focus.

I guess it's possible the motor will not reach the proper speed or has trouble staying at the proper speed. I'm really not sure.

If you add a new laser pickup, do you have to calibrate it?

Any Ideas on this?

TIA Jim

Reply to
fyi

Many (most) laser pickups have a solder short which must be cleared before the new pickup will function.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Hi Check that the solder earth point is unsolderd. Also on this model there are two low value resistors or circuit protectors cannot remember from memory but they can cause this kind of problem.

I will try and find the mod sheet out. let me know if you want it. I also have a complete dvd pick up assy that includes the spin motor, sled motor and lazer brand new original sony if you want to buy it :)

Regards

Mr_Spade

--
mr_spade
Reply to

I forgot all about the solder short they put on them.

I will take a closer look at the pickup assy and check for the short.

As always, thanks for help!

Jimmy

Reply to
fyi

I still can't believe I didn't check for the solder short.

I haven't checked the video and audio yet, but it's reading the disc correctly now!

Thanks again Jimmy

Reply to
fyi