Sony DVP-NS715P problem

Unit is a Sony DVP-NS715P, ser no 2026425 2b, that only plays some DVD's. The girl I'm looking at it for said it only plays one disk, but I could only get it to not play one of my disks, and it played all others normally. I know the DVD it doesn't play is good, the player's lens is completely clean, I cleaned it with good isopropyl just to be sure, still the same thing. It searches the disk for a while, and then says the disk cannot be played. Any idea what sort of problem this is? All help appreciated, as always.

Steve

Reply to
sck0006

Some of the Sony models have been having problems with the laser units. The practical side of things is to make sure it can travel freely, and that the lens is clean. If the laser is defective, this will be too expensive to replace.

--

JANA _____

Steve

Reply to
JANA

Thanks for the reply. I just found out that she had used this player very much in the last three years, 3 to 4 hours a day not uncommon, so I imagine it's highly likely that the laser is at the end of it's life. Thanks again, Steve

Reply to
sck0006

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 22:37:58 -0500, sck0006 put finger to keyboard and composed:

I bet it plays single layer discs but has trouble with dual layer ones.

-- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

The one disk it didn't play is in fact a dual layer DVD. I'll test it more later and see if this holds true. If this is the case, is there anythng that can economically be done? Steve

Reply to
sck0006

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 09:49:35 -0500, sck0006 put finger to keyboard and composed:

I don't think so. FWIW, you could probably still use it as a CD player or MP3 player or picture CD player. It may even play burnt single layer DVDs without problems.

-- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar