Sony screwdriver and bit.

I got this set a while ago, probably in the early 1980's. It's a Sony combo screwdriver and bit. The photos are here:

The question is, how does the bit lock into the driver? There is nothing to twist, turn, or tighten. For years, I just used masking tape to hold it together. Then today, I decided to search the net for answers. I found that MCM still sells this. There is a picture here:

It's obvious that my driver has an extra piece in the handle. So what's the story here?

Thanks for your reply.

--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA

There should be a spring plate in the metal part of the handle. That looks like a low grade version of the Xcelite 99 series tools.

These pictures are so crappy I can't see any details.

What extra part? The wood is just a cheap and simple insulating holder for the collet, which holds the bit.

Michael A. Terrell

The picture at MCM shows the handle without the (extra?) collet. I've inspected the collet in my handle and there doesn't seem to be any provision to hold a spring plate. I have the Xcellite 99 tools and I can see how that handle has a plate on each side to grab on to the bit.

Thanks for your reply.

--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA

bo

at

he

The semicircular groove around the upper part of the bit suggests a sprung ball inside the collet, and this has fallen out, as happens regularly with modern equivalents.

Alternatively, maybe there was a magnet at the bottom of the collet and this has fallen out, demagnetised, or got pushed in too deep.

Either ball or magnet may have been accidentally omitted in manufacture.

Just my three-ha'p'th.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran%proemail.co.uk