Sony XBR weird pincushion problem KV32XBR85

I have a Sony 32 inch TV KV32XBR85 with a weird pincushion/horizontal problem. The picture alternates between two problems states: one where the top and bottom of the picture are stretched out (like a corset) and a second where the picture is pinched about an eighth of the distance from the top & bottom (like an urn). At power on the picture tends to be in the first state then flickers back & forth between the second state, eventually settling on the second state. It's a bit hard to describe so here are actual pics of the screen:

pic 1:

pic 2:

I haven't opened up the set yet. I tried the smack test, without any effect on the picture. This is a nice TV and definitely worth fixing IMO. Any tips on what to check, common failure parts or rebuild kits would be much appreciated. TIA.

Reply to
pink

Look for the 'been hot' larger coil in the horizontal circuit and replace it. Troubleshoot the rest of the circuit as well. While it is apart you should go ahead and resolder all the low voltage regulators you can find and the IF coils and maybe some connections inside the tuner.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Okay, I took the chassis out today and inspected it closely. None of the coils (or anything else) showed evidence of overheating or burntness. While I had the set apart I reflowed any suspect solder connections (most looked pretty good but I figured resoldering couldn't hurt), and reseated all the connectors I could find, put it back together, but no luck.

I don't have much in the way of troubleshooting equipment other than a DVM (no schematics etc.) I was hoping to find a common failure kit at Tritronics which saved my butt in the past but no luck there either - Tritronics lists only a few components for this chassis, and most of them are no longer available anyway.

Anything else I should try before throwing in the towel?

snipped-for-privacy@locl.net wrote:

Reply to
pink

Since it looks like the picture quality and brightness would be pretty good if it were working, I would say the next step is to probably take it into a technician who has the equipment, service manual, and lots of Sony tv experience from that era.

Given that most of the set is working at this point, the repair cost might no be so much if you take it into the shop. Consumer Reports probably would not recommend even having the set repaired, but I would say if it is less than $100, go for it.

Reply to
dkuhajda