Sony KV27S42 no color

This TV went black&white suddenly. The color genration must be OK because the menus all appear in fine color. It is B&W both in tuner and monitor mode. Would appreciate any help. John Rakos johnATrakos.com

Reply to
john

I dont know this set in detain, but the colour for the graphics is usually generated in the micro and has a different path. It is RGB. You really need a manual to trace the signal and an understanding of the video / chroma path. The video decoder IC or assiciated components may be the right place. It may also be a micro fault. I don;t know if this set has the vertical micro PCB (think it has the tuner on it) but they give a lot of trouble. If your really stuck, I will see if I can find a manual at work.

Cheers

Rod

Reply to
Rodney.Marriott

This can be a fault with the colour demodulator section. You will need a solid background in TV servicing, the service manual, and a scope to troubleshoot it.

I would suggest taking the set to a reliable service centre, or a Sony authorized service rep to have an estimate for the repair. I doubt you will fix this yourself.

The reason for the display showing the fonts in green, is that the font generator in the uPC drives the green video channel only. The colour demodulation for the TV signals is done much farther back in the system.

--

Jerry G.