Sony KV-24FS100

Sony KV-24FS100 television Chassis BA-6

I agreed to look at this set for a friend at work and I am sort of stuck. She said she was watching it just fine, glanced away, and when she looked back, the top half of the picture was gone - just black. I fired it up and find that the top half has collapsed. The bottom half is just fine - full color, no foldover into that area, etc. I do, however, find that if I hit the tv/video button on the remote, then in what I presume are the video modes, the whole screen collapses into a horizontal line at the middle. Keep pushing the button and when it gets back to the tv mode, the bottom half returns.

I searched for this issue online (here and otherwise) and not found it mentioned anywhere, so I started in. I found and downloaded the service manual, so I have the schematics. The first thing I checked was the electrolytic caps around the vertical output chip (TDA8172). ESR was way high on 2, and marginal on 3 more so I replaced all 5. I also checked all the resistors that attach to that chp and all appeared to pretty well match the schematic. No change in action.

So, that's where I am now. My next thought is to replace the TDA8172 chip, but I would appreciate the opinion of the more experienced people here. Any thoughts? Thanks.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Great T.V. Usually just solder the vertical IC, if that doesn't do it, check the polarized capacitors by the IC, next replace the IC if that doesn't work. Dani.

Reply to
Dani

Check Voltage on Pin 2 and 3 ,this is not your regular Vert IC it has 2 supply voltages. Maybe one is missing !!! if not change it. Also change the filter caps associated with it.

kip

Reply to
kip

Voltages looked good except for the output. I had already replaced 5 caps in that area due to high ESR, so I ordered & replaced the vertical output chip, which was a TDA8172. The set is now up & running. Thanks for the comments.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany