Voting

I left the house at 7:15AM and I was home before 8:00AM. I was number 73 at my polling place, and in line less than ten minutes. I even found a handicap parking pace.

Any one want to compare wait times?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell"

** Obama will be very pleased.

Cool they let the mentally handicapped vote where you are.

Explains a lot really.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Michael A. Terrell a écrit :

Mine is bigger than yours.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

I saw one mentally handicapped voter in front of me. Her momma was getting her signed in, I didn't watch to see what happen when she went into the booth.

I showed up at 6:45, doors opened at 7:00 and I was home at 7:24 voter #14.

The poll worker that I used needs to be replaced, my wife was in front of me, the poll worker looked at her license and started through the book looking for her first name. Once I figured out what she was doing, I told her to look for her last name. When It was my turn I stuck my finger on my name so she couldn't turn the page. I told the door worker to watch her, she is not efficient and slowing everyone down. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I was rather surprised. My wait was only 20 minutes but there wasn't much of a line (it was raining quite hard). The voting system is crap (computer terminal - with some sort of smart card thingy) but the registration and proof of identity system is great; it's weird.

My voting place is about 15mi from my house, in a fairly large city, ,not mine; again weird. The computer terminals just slow everything down. Everywhere else I've voted in the last three decades has used the optical scanners so there can be dozens of cheap voting stations and one person at the exit running the scanner. Every precinct uses the same scanner so the cost of the equipment is miniscule. The computer terminals are expensive so they can't afford as many and lines grow, though I heard that the lines for early voting were far worse. Some, in the big city, were several hours with lines stretching blocks and trying up traffic (traffic reports on the radio blamed voting lines for gridlock).

Had to present ID (driver's license) and they had an optical scanner to verify ID with the mothership. Nice. They do allow first-time voters who registered by mail to use other ID. As I said, the registration process is nice but the machines suck.

Not sure why I bothered, though. There were only three races that were contested. ;-) I did want to vote for the constitutional amendments, though (that's a rarity ;-).

Reply to
krw

Last Friday I drove thru the Post Office drop lane and mailed my ballot. ...Jim Thompson

No wait time for me, I voted ~8:00am, the polling place is on the way to work, no ID needed, give them my name and sign on the dotted line. I was number 64.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

PREVERT!

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'm sure he is, since I voted a straight Republican ticket for the first time in my life.

Unless someone is declared incompetent, they have the right to vote. As always, your attempt to put someone down failed. You fix junk stereos, I built electronics for the Aerospace industry. I own my home, and you live in a crap apartment.

It doesn't explain you, or your mental problems. Do they let you & Sloman vote down under?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Oh well, I spent the ten minutes in line talking to a couple pretty young ladies. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They took my driver's license, and a few seconds later I was handed a printout. I handed that to another woman for the two ballot pages, and used a black marker, then fed them to the scanner.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Me too. Very first time in my life. In the past I've always voted the man. But I fear for my country, and... quite honestly... I think we've lost it :-(

[snip] ...Jim Thompson

Oh well, I got rear-ended (*) in the parking lot and ended up talking to a pretty young lady.

(*) For really, she'll have to pay for my "bumper". ...Jim Thompson

One hour wait. Record turnout for our little township.

Not enough of the Diebold machines. They hand you a smart card after two people visually check your ID and the book.

One gal had a expired drivers license, so they gave her a paper provisional ballot, and a pencil.

In the past they had horrible problems with the handheld smart card writer. Not this time.

I'd say people were angry about their phones ringing off the hook. 12 calls yesterday, and as many as that in four hours today.

Since my 80 year old mom tends to think of the phone as person to person communication, they need to add "This is a recording".

Our local pols, once electect, pay lots of money for live community connected phone forums, with hundreds of people on the line. It makes people think they are actually taking with the POLs in a unrestricted manor. Mom falls for it, hook line and sinker... Mom's a somewhat sharp cookie, but I keep telling her she did not directly speak to Bill or Mitt.

Steve

Reply to
Owen Roberts

For about a year now I have been running a whole-house-phone-system:

800-numbers and other selected numbers don't ring any of the phones, though their caller-ID shows who is calling.

This year they have been driving me nuts using local phone numbers. So I've taken to cussing out live callers. On recordings I let them run to burn up their time. On surveys I have "fun" with them >:-}

Peddlers of solar or "green shit" get special "engagement" ;-)

[snip] ...Jim Thompson

It would help in the comparison if everybody would also mention what state they voted. We went mail-only election system in the last few years here in WA and we can mail in our ballots as soon as we get them, usually 2-3 weeks before the election day. I'm not sure I like the election day turning into election season this way, even though the actual ballott tally does not occur till election day.

Reply to
cameo

If only I had 1/10th of his talent..

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Arizona. We still have regular polling places as well as mail-in. Mail-in ballot envelopes must be signed and are electronically compared to registration signatures.

...Jim Thompson

It makes sense to pick a time when it is quiet at the polling place. I never have to wait to vote. I wouldn't vote if I had to wait in line :-) The only drawback is that they went back to voting on paper in the NL. It turned out the voting machines could be hacked, monitored and the votes couldn't be re-counted.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

The signature on the external envelope here is also verified as soon as they get it in the mail, but I am not sure if electronically or just by eye. Signatures do have some variations and I am not sure how good electronic verification is to account for that.

Reply to
cameo