Sony KV-32FV27 no pix

Sony KV-32FV27

OK, here's one creating a time warp around my workbench:

Good sound, no picture via any input. Good raster and good OSD, full menu, no failure events appear in diagnostic menu. No strange numbers in service menu for cutoff, gain, sub brightness etc.

Just like Ik shutdown, but no blinks. If I disable Ik detector then jungle tells uP which then does five blinks. So have 2 way communication: Jungle uP.

Upon startup have large Ik pulses on each cathode which shrink as emission comes up.

Have good Y and C entering jungle, H and V circuits sync up. Tried PIP but still totally blank screen. "No Signal" message goes away with active input.

So, looks like uP not bothering to issue , or, it does issue but jungle is out to lunch. I do not have a I2C monitor.

Another possibility I suppose is that blanking is stuck somehow.

Am I overlooking something obvious? What other status bits does the uP check before turning video on in this model?

Reply to
garyhen

Many years ago, I used to service these under a warranty contract.

I serviced many Sony models. I am going to try to go by memory here.

I am assuming from your description that you have a raster because you have the OSD. This means that the main scans and the video path should be working from the font generator. On the video input of this set, there is an input switching IC. I have had these fail, and this produced no video, but OSD. I am assuming you properly checked that all the voltages leaving the power supply are correct.

On the flyback secondary output side, there are a number of different voltage outputs used to operate the front end areas, such as the video input section, including the input switching IC circuits, and also to operate the tuner and IF sections. Make sure that no voltages are missing. Along their path, I am sure that there are some voltage regulators. I have seen some problems in those sections as well.

If the IF module is defective, it is possible, depending on the nature of the failure, there may be a loss of any type of composite video input or tuner video. I have had to change this module, and including the tuner module in these sets.

Here at home, I am still using a KV20V60 from 1997. It is a great set, and it is still going strong. I also have an old KV27XBR50 from 1992. This one is a terrific set. About 8 years ago, I had to rebuild the main power supply in the XBR. I was no longer able to buy the complete assembly. In both of my sets, I installed quiet whisper fans to cool the scan areas and the power supply area. This will certainly lengthen the life of the sets. I installed a small separate power supply in each set to run the fans rather than tap the 12 Volts off the main supplies.

--

Jerry G.
======